cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Blue Pump tutorial (How to substitute Car1 in tutorial)

IB_10645210
12-Amethyst

Blue Pump tutorial (How to substitute Car1 in tutorial)

Hi ptc community,

Could you please advise how to substitute car1 from External data? I am trying to accomplish any of the samples: Blue pump and the Raspberry Pi Tutorials but I stuck with this car1 Thing.   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @IB_10645210 , @RolandRaytchev 

We have the RaspberryPi-related data in the below help center link. Please navigate to the 'What You'll need' section', which has the RaspberryPiKit.zip file.

Raspberry Project files 

For the RaspberryPiThing entity, the below link has step-by-step instructions to create the Thing along with the required properties:

RaspberryPiThing 

Please let me know if you have any questions or issues downloading the file or creating the thing in ThingWorx

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Hi @IB_10645210 ,

could you , please, explain , what you want  to substitute there  (in which context External data, binding)  and why? Do you want to replace this by another object or you need simple to delete it?

The simples way there is to remove the objects from External Data section and  also this remove all  bindings to Vuforia Studio widget. 

If you need to replace by other TWX objects  so that you need to create at least one Thing in Thingworx with properties and services and use this in Vuforia STudio as described in the Vuforia Studio Help  :

http://support.ptc.com/help/vuforia/studio/en/#page/Studio_Help_Center%2Fdigital_twin%2Fdigital_twin_301_use_things_studio.html

also 

http://support.ptc.com/help/vuforia/studio/en/#page/Studio_Help_Center%2FBPAdvancedIntro.html%23

http://support.ptc.com/help/vuforia/studio/en/#page/Studio_Help_Center%2FBPAdvancedAdd3DLabel.html%23wwID0EPRDT

Also, to allow that Thingworx Things could be accessible in Vuforia STudio so check the setting according to http://support.ptc.com/help/vuforia/studio/en/#page/Studio_Help_Center%2FGrantUserPermissions.html

I want to referrer for How to create a thing  - in TWX help Thing Properties  and  TWX services

Alternatively when you have question related only to Thingworx (e.g. how to create services and write a javascript , returning specific object types etc..) it is better to  address your questions to   the IOT Community :ThingWorx Developers

IB_10645210_0-1683205254076.png

I am submitting a screen grab for reference. So I am not an experienced PTC user so I am trying to accomplish this Blue Pump tutorial, and I am not sure what this car1 does and if I can easily substitute it with created thing from instance.

Also, I forgot to mention: the car1 is not available on External Data anymore so I can't accomplish the Blue Pump sample tutorial - 1: I have to learn how to substitute it; 2: I can wait when it PTC will place it back, but there is no estimated time.

Hi @IB_10645210 ,

thanks for the feedback and the clarification. Yes I checked it and also I could not find the definition of the Car1 or Car2 etc: according  the Vuforis STudio  Help Blue Pump Project

So far I remember this was a test  predefined Thing which was added to each trial Vuforia Experience Service (because the Thingworx instance are not accessible) so that users during the trial period could test the Studio functionality (old guide)

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Vuforia-Studio/Blue-Pump-Tutorial-Files-Not-Found/m-p/573563/highlight/true#M4281

In the Search Entitiesfield at the very top ­left where you see a magnifying glass, type in car1. This is a pre­configured Thing which has been created to provide some information, including a regularly­changing value. We’ll use this changing RPM value to provide a changing value for the Pump.

Unfortunately It seems that this thing is not any more implemented after the trial program was expired. I could not remember what was  the particular Alimentation of the Car1 thing. Here is some info in an old post

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Vuforia-Studio/Set-Thingworx-Platform-property-value-from-Thingworx-AR-Vuforia/m-p/523141

But I believe this is a simple thing with the name Car1 where are some properties defined and there is a timer which change this entities by random time value so that you could have the effect to display entities in Studio  which will change dynamically and for example to see how  gauge widgets  or other labels will update their values.

So means you need to connect to Thingworx and create an object Car1 with properties RPM etc... as described in the Blue Pump manual. Then the value will be static. To have them dynamically change you need to use some techniques as described in the Thingworx  posts:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/ThingWorx-Developers/Handling-dynamic-timers/m-p/503345

and 

https://community.ptc.com/t5/ThingWorx-Developers/How-to-create-thingworx-app-to-change-properties-value-by-random/m-p/649446

I will further check if I could find any old definitions of the Car1 thing. Please try to create you own Car1 object according to info from the links above and ,let me know if this not work. Thanks

I found a old copy of the Thingworx endites, tested and exported it now so possibly you can use this. Simple connect to the Thingworx instance of your Experience Service and import the entities to your TWX. Please let me know if this work for you

Thank you so much, I will try. Do I need a commercial version of ThingWorx for this?

Hi @IB_10645210 ,

the Experience Service consist of Experience Server and Thingworx Server. You need an Experience Service to be able to publish a Vuforia Studio Project  so that it could be called and displayed by the Vuforia View application - so by scanning of a Thingmark ,   deep link or QR code (it implements the deep link). So actually when you have an Experience Service , in this case there is also a Thingworx Server behind. So that you need to check what is the Thingworx server link where you can connect and import the entities (attached on the last post). Because the Studio trial program is retired yet, therefore it should be a commercial server. 

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Vuforia-Studio/The-Vuforia-Studio-Free-Trial-is-Retiring/m-p/789775#M10752

I see that there are question if there should be alternative for testing of Studio, so I will forward to the PM(product management) team to check this

Thank you so much for the explanation! It helps a lot!!

The Things_Car1.xml didn't work. Please advise 

IB_10645210_0-1683642370034.png

I think this is a permission issue and  possibly it will now work because the user there will not exist.

I am on  my system (Thingworx instance) here I am admin user. 

Possibly you need to be admin or system admin (something like this) to import these entities.

Next step, when it still does not work-  is to replace the user name in the xml to user who is aviblility in your system

And when all this things are not working. Then all information about thing definition, the properties and services are there , and readable as text. So define the thing there via Thingworx UI. This will need more work to recreate all entities by UI - e.g. service js code  Definition could be pasted.

Hi @IB_10645210 ,

I believe the Car entity has the attached dependencies. Could you please upload the files in the below order and let me know if you still have the import issue:

• ThingShapes_PTC.ThingXDemo.SimulatedThing
  • Things_ThingXSimulatorValueStream
  • ThingTemplates_ConnectedCar
  • Things_Car1

Thank you!

IB_10645210
12-Amethyst
(To:ytella)

Thank you so much for your help!

Could you please provide entities for Raspberry Pi Tutorial: RaspberryPiThing (Thing)  

Hi @IB_10645210 , @RolandRaytchev 

We have the RaspberryPi-related data in the below help center link. Please navigate to the 'What You'll need' section', which has the RaspberryPiKit.zip file.

Raspberry Project files 

For the RaspberryPiThing entity, the below link has step-by-step instructions to create the Thing along with the required properties:

RaspberryPiThing 

Please let me know if you have any questions or issues downloading the file or creating the thing in ThingWorx

Thanks Yamini , for checking this. If you have still the old properties on an old trial server it would be great if it  is possible to export the entitles with dep (e.g. attached to project) so that we have only one file to import for both Car simulated thing and the RaspberryPI tutorial so that later we can link in the tutorial to them  Then users could  have TWX setting when they works with the tutorial. so possibly also PTC help for the tutorial should refer to these entities  

Top Tags