cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Changing text in label widget from home.js

PhilipB
8-Gravel

Changing text in label widget from home.js

Hi,

As the topic is named I want to change the text in the a 2D-widget not by writing in the label field in properties window, as seen in the picture but rather I would like to change it in the home.js script.

I was thinking of writing a code like this:

$scope.app.view.Home.wdg['label-59'].text = 'hello';

OR: 

$scope.setWidgetProp( "label-59", "text", 'hello');

Tried different variations, but none of them seemed to work. 

I must miss something, does anyone have any suggestions?

jpg2.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @PhilipB,

may be, a significant question could be , when do you want to call this function.  You can call it from a button as mentioned by @tmccombie . This should always work.

But when you try to set property on start , when you load first time the project - view - in this case if you write simple :

very probably this will not work because the object /widget is not initialized yet.

So the first idea is to call it with some timeout /delay  like:

$timeout($scope.setWidgetProp( "label-59", "text", 'hello'),4000) //4 sec

And when use  enough large value of delay this will work at the end , but this is also not a good solution.

The recommend way  will be to use an event where you know that when this event is fired,  all object are already initialized.

So if you want to set a 2d widget then you can use  $ionicView.afterEnter', event  - example:

$scope.$on('$ionicView.afterEnter', function() {
});

But this will not work for a 3d widget. In this case you need to use the modelLoaded  event - example:

$rootScope.$on('modelLoaded', function()
{
});

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
tmccombie
21-Topaz I
(To:PhilipB)

These methods should work. Do you have them in a function?

Try doing this: 

$scope.updateLabel = function(){
$scope.setWidgetProp( "label-1", "text", 'hello');
};

And then call that function either within Home.JS ($scope.updateLabel();) or on an event within your experience. 

I called it on a button click event.

image.png 

Once I click on the button in my experience, the label gets updated.

image.png

Hi @PhilipB,

may be, a significant question could be , when do you want to call this function.  You can call it from a button as mentioned by @tmccombie . This should always work.

But when you try to set property on start , when you load first time the project - view - in this case if you write simple :

very probably this will not work because the object /widget is not initialized yet.

So the first idea is to call it with some timeout /delay  like:

$timeout($scope.setWidgetProp( "label-59", "text", 'hello'),4000) //4 sec

And when use  enough large value of delay this will work at the end , but this is also not a good solution.

The recommend way  will be to use an event where you know that when this event is fired,  all object are already initialized.

So if you want to set a 2d widget then you can use  $ionicView.afterEnter', event  - example:

});

But this will not work for a 3d widget. In this case you need to use the modelLoaded  event - example:

$rootScope.$on('modelLoaded', function()
{
});

Allright I see!,

Thanks for the reply @tmccombie and @RolandRaytchev! Of course I need something to "trigger" it to start working. I tried all variations and it all worked but I wanted to initiate the function at start so the last method worked best with: 

});

Thanks for again! 

Top Tags