cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

How can I get the coordinates of a selected part in "Vuforia Studio"?

nishihira
7-Bedrock

I tried the following, but could not get the correct coordinates.

tml3dRenderer.GetObject('model-1-/3').GetWidget().GetLocation().position.x

Specifically, no matter which part was selected, all X, Y, and Z coordinates were always zero.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thank you. I guess I'll have to create a dedicated metadata. I'll do my best to create a metadata with coordinates.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi @nishihira ,

so far I know the GetWidget() method will not work on some/or all mobile platforms - so seem that is  only reported in chrome - and possibly  this indented for UI usage. Therefore I thing this work in chrome browser only. Here I could find a old test code where I tested this feature in js.

$scope.testButton=()=>{console.warn($scope);console.warn(tml3dRenderer);
    $scope.setWidgetProp('modelItem-1','rx',45.0);    
     $scope.setWidgetProp('modelItem-2','rx',45.0);   
if( isPreview()) {
     //modelItem-1
   console.warn( tml3dRenderer.GetObject('model-1-/0/0/10/2').GetWidget().GetLocation() );   
    console.info("X="+ tml3dRenderer.GetObject('model-1-/0/0/10/2').GetWidget().GetLocation().position.x );   

//modelItem-2
   console.warn( tml3dRenderer.GetObject('model-1-/0/0/10/1').GetWidget().GetLocation() );  
   console.info("X="+ tml3dRenderer.GetObject('model-1-/0/0/10/1').GetWidget().GetLocation().position.x );
}
                       $scope.$applyAsync();
                      }

//----------------------------
//where the preview check is defined as
//----------------------------
isPreview = function() { 
    if(window.twx.app.isPreview()) // is in Preview
         return true;
   return false; }
//======================================================

So what possibly you can use instead is some techniques as described in the boding box - so getting information via metadata which is extracted as in the following link is mentioned.

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Vuforia-Studio/Obtaining-Bounding-Boxes-for-3D-Models/m-p/779434#M10634

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Vuforia-Studio/metadata-vuforia-experience-service/m-p/778822#M10621

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Vuforia-Studio/metadata-vuforia-experience-service/m-p/779433#M10633

So when extracted and imported the metadata in Studio via the CreoViewRWExtension

//==========================================
$scope.app.getAttrArr= function(modelName,pathId,attribute) {  
  let retVal= [0.,0.,0.,0.,0.,0.];
try {
let arr= metaDataArray[modelName].data[pathId]['__PV_SystemProperties'][attribute].split(' ');
 for (let i=0;i<6;i++)   retVal[i]= parseFloat(arr[i]);
  return retVal;
}
catch(e) {return retVal;}
}
//======================================
//===========================================
$scope.app.getModTransformMat= function(modelName,pathId) { 
return  $scope.app.getAttrMat(modelName,pathId,'Model Transformation'); }

$scope.app.getInstTransformMat= function(modelName,pathId) { 
return  $scope.app.getAttrMat(modelName,pathId,'Instance Transformation'); } 
$scope.app.getModLocationMat= function(modelName,pathId) { 
return $scope.eulerVec2trfMatR ($scope.app.getAttrArr(modelName,pathId,'Model Location'));
}

$scope.app.getInstLocationMat= function(modelName,pathId) { 
return $scope.eulerVec2trfMatR ($scope.app.getAttrArr(modelName,pathId,'Instance Location'));
}
//=======================================================================================

I used some functions as mentioned in  this sample studio project where tried to apply more complex operations like space rotation via any csys point - where all calculation are based on  the meta data which was extracted via the  CreoViewRWExtension.

So possibly could be helpful as additional information

Thank you @RolandRaytchev for your speedy and thorough replies! However, as you said, it didn't work on mobile platforms.Thanks also for the suggestion to get it from the metadata. Unfortunately, however, there is no coordinate information in the metadata of the CAD data we are dealing with.

Yes, in the default metadata is not information, therefore was the suggestion to use the   CreoViewRWExtension. to create your own metadata as suggested in post what I referred to in previous post. Or you have to create your own data -e.g. json where you add the component id - position mapping.

Otherwise you can use some technique of the eye vector to calculate the position of component related to the camera position. Related post: https://community.ptc.com/t5/Vuforia-Studio/How-to-get-camera-position/m-p/557897#M3539

So e.g. you could have some arrow object , as pointer which is moved with the eye vector e.g. one 1.5 meter in front of the device plane and to touch with this pointer the object  and in the same time you know based on the calculation of model coordinates, eye position and eye vector which is the position what you selected.

Thank you. I guess I'll have to create a dedicated metadata. I'll do my best to create a metadata with coordinates.

Top Tags