cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

How can we make a 3D image visible in front me everytime

vivekse
13-Aquamarine

How can we make a 3D image visible in front me everytime

I have a model of machine which is huge in size. I have to move around the machine a lot so what i want is when i say 'show shopping cart', a 3D-image should appear in front of me irrespective of my location. I wanted to know ho this is possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @vivekse ,

n

now I created an article "How can we make a 3D Widget on HoloLens visible in front of me every time ? " where you can download an example project where I tried to implement an example for the requested functionality. I think this could be a common issue and therefore tried to explained one possible way what I found. I tested the project in Preview mode and on HoloLens 1 device and it was working fine. I think it will also ok for HoloLens 2 but did not tested there. I hope it is helpful for your. Please, let me know if you have questions

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
sdidier
17-Peridot
(To:vivekse)

Hello vivekse,

A 3D Image is like a 3D Model.

These objects have a geometry defined in a 3D world.

So, they have a Location defined by 3 axis of translations and 3 axis of rotations.

At least, with a 3D Image, it is possible to have it always in front of any 3D Models and face to the camera.

For that, please switch on these Properties Always on top and Billboard.

But keep in mind, that if end user moves Camera, this 3D Image can be out of the screen in smartphone.

So, not visible, if end user is not pointing phone/camera where this 3D Image is.

In case of a shopping cart, the best from my point of view; is to add a Button Widget in 2D Canvas.

It will be always on screen.

At the end, to select one of both solutions, it depends how the enduser should interact in the Experience.

Best regards,

Samuel

vivekse
13-Aquamarine
(To:sdidier)

Thank you @sdidier for your reply but the I am building an experience for hololens. Also is there a way to get a floating panel in front of me whenever I say 'show cart'?

Hi @vivekse ,

for Android and IOS devices the suggestion solution by  @sdidier  should work , I think. Only for HoloLens devices we do not have  2d option /in Vuforia Studio. For HoloLens devices we need a solution which will check the eye vector of the device and will display  the shopping card  in a distance in front of you/ it could be implemented by  3DImage , 3D label widgets or 3d Button models.  Mostly you can use the click event to add action. In case that you use 3DImages and 3dLabel widget it is more easy because you can use there the billboard property , so that you do not need to calculate the angle for your cards as mention in the post  . If you use the billboard property of elements you need only to display the element in front of the device  eye vector in a distance in front of your device and then fix the elements there - something as mention in the post – it shows how to check the eye vector and to move element dynamically. 

Thank you @RolandRaytchev. This is exactly what I was looking for. It's a humble request if you could please attach any sample project doing the same.

Thanks in advance😀

Hi @RolandRaytchev. Sorry to bother you once again but can you please send me a sample project.

Hi @vivekse ,

n

now I created an article "How can we make a 3D Widget on HoloLens visible in front of me every time ? " where you can download an example project where I tried to implement an example for the requested functionality. I think this could be a common issue and therefore tried to explained one possible way what I found. I tested the project in Preview mode and on HoloLens 1 device and it was working fine. I think it will also ok for HoloLens 2 but did not tested there. I hope it is helpful for your. Please, let me know if you have questions

Top Tags