cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

How to import SolidWorks cad model in Vuforia Studio

Geeksan
1-Newbie

How to import SolidWorks cad model in Vuforia Studio

I am currently trying the vuforia studio app and I would like to import CAD ressources I download from grabcad.

I tried to import the model assembly (sldasm) and it doesn't work, I tried to import the differents part of the model (sldprt) but I don't know how to show the different part at the right coordonates in the scene. Do you you a guide on how to import thoses models correctly how any idea of what I am doing wrong

3 REPLIES 3
jmikesell
15-Moonstone
(To:Geeksan)

Do you have a link to the models you are trying to use?

To import native CAD data from the supported file formats - Creo Parametric, SolidWorks, Inventor or CATIA, you need to create a ZIP file of the assembly and all of it's parts where the ZIP file name is the same as the file name of the top level assembly file.

This is mentioned in the help page on supported CAD file formats here, but the explanation isn't super clear.

If you've got access to a CAD tool that can read in the file you've downloaded from GrabCAD, I would definitely recommend opening up the file first to check it.  I've found quite a few models from GrabCAD that are missing parts.  

And if you can open it in a CAD tool. After you confirm it's good export it out as a STEP and save yourself the effort of crafting the .zip file.

Top Tags