cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

REALISTIC RENDERING IN VUFORIA STUDIO

kiran_venkat
6-Contributor

REALISTIC RENDERING IN VUFORIA STUDIO

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and i just need to know if i can do advanced rendering in CREO parametric 5.0 and then import the same to Vuforia studio so that the product looks as realistic as possible.
Because user is in need of AR experience where the product should look similar to real time object and also they need the shiny and texture finishes to be achieved instead of CAD looks.
Is it possible in Vuforia studio ?

Kindly help on this. thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DavidW_AR
5-Regular Member
(To:kiran_venkat)

So I wasn't able to get the models to display correctly from an OBJ file but I was able to get the textures to display correctly by using an FBX. The shading groups don't seem to reflect correctly in the PVZ file created by Vuforia Studio but it is now at least acceptable looking in AR.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

The renderer in Creo is a 2D ray-tracer (Keyshot) which can only produce 2D images. For what you want you would need a textured 3D model to bring into Studio. Creo is not capable or at least not the right tool for producing  this model. You would need something like 3DSMax, Maya, Rhino, etc.. And after this the workflow to get it into Studio can be tough, but possible.

DavidW_AR
5-Regular Member
(To:jmikesell)

To expand on @jmikesell's answer, I don't think there is a way to get PBR (Physically Based Rendering) materials into Vuforia Studio. I have found that you can get regular diffuse textures into Studio by setting up your textures on your model in your favorite 3D modeling software, exporting the model out as an .obj, and compressing your files into a .zip. I believe you need to zip up your texture files, the .mtl file from the .obj file export, and the .obj before uploading it the Resources of your Vuforia Studio. You should be able to bring in the model and see the textures on your model. They won't be photorealistic but at least they can have some of the details that you would expect from your textures.

In my experience, the .obj would not show all the textures correctly and the model had some smoothing group and polygon normal issues that were not present in 3DS Max. I'm going to try to reduce the amount of textures the model uses down to one and fit all the UVs for the model in a single 0 - 1 UV space to see if this fixes the issue. I have not been able to find any official documentation on getting textured models into Vuforia Studio so most of this knowledge is from forum posts and trial and error. Good luck on getting the realistic look into your project! I'll update this post if I'm able to get a working version of the textured .obj in Studio.

Wow ! wonderful David and thanks a lot for the info let me try your solutions.

DavidW_AR
5-Regular Member

Ok, so I was wrong about zipping your files up. You just have to make sure you upload all your files (obj, mtl, and texture files) at the same time. I've been able to get all the textures to display correctly but the shading issues are still present on the model. It appears the shading groups aren't being translated correctly into Studio. I'll be running a few more tests to see if I can fix the visual issues.

Hi jmikesell 

Thank you for the information 

DavidW_AR
5-Regular Member

So I wasn't able to get the models to display correctly from an OBJ file but I was able to get the textures to display correctly by using an FBX. The shading groups don't seem to reflect correctly in the PVZ file created by Vuforia Studio but it is now at least acceptable looking in AR.

Top Tags