cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Scale attribute of the 3D-Model

feil
11-Garnet

Scale attribute of the 3D-Model

Does someone know the exact behaviour of the scale attribute of the 3D-Model.

Is it setting the dimensions of the CAD-Daten as 1.0, or is 1.0 meaning something like 1m?

I'm asking because I have noticed some strange behaviour when trying to detect the model target.

When I'm using the CAD-Model as target which corresponds to the real object I want to detect, it does not work. I just don't detect it. But when I scale it down like 0.1 or 0.01. It almost detect's it instantly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes I agree, The pvz format contains the units , so when we have in Creo Parameterc for example kg , mm these units are still contained by the pvz file.

So the question is what happens when we import this in Vuforia. In this case we have all dimensions for models and modelitems widget in meters. When I import an assembly where all parts and assemblies /subassemblies has the unit mm still setting of properties in Vuforia should be in meters.

I think this should also work if we have parts designed with inch units. Vuforia will convert them internally so that all units for model items and models should be further in meters

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @feil ,

so far I know the scale is not related to the dimensions. So to remember that if we take as example Creo Parametric only the CAD system knows the dimension and based on the feature tree and feature regeneration based on the dimension  it will calculate the geometry which consist of different kind of surfaces , edges and vertex. Other side we have a different kind of entities – e.g. cylindric, flat , spline, NURBS etc. surfaces. They have boundaries which will have a different kinds of curvs ( line, spline,  NURBS, cone …. Etc.   I think the scale will simple multiply a specific coordinate of the all entities with an value – for example scaling along to X axis will multiply the X coordinates of all entities.

Could you provide an example to see what is going wrong for the scaled model target? I think the model target is taking the model when the target is generated. When you then, later you change it , may be this could lead to problems …

jmikesell
15-Moonstone
(To:feil)

My workflow is almost 100% Creo > pvz > Studio but i know that units do work in that case. And a 1.0 scale will produce 3D model at full scale.

One way to test this out is make an experience and use a Thingsmark or image target, set you thingmark/image target width to match what your printed thingmark/image is in the physical world (units on "marker Width" are meters). If you now place your model on this thingsmark with a scale of 1.0 you can see if it makes sense.

Yes I agree, The pvz format contains the units , so when we have in Creo Parameterc for example kg , mm these units are still contained by the pvz file.

So the question is what happens when we import this in Vuforia. In this case we have all dimensions for models and modelitems widget in meters. When I import an assembly where all parts and assemblies /subassemblies has the unit mm still setting of properties in Vuforia should be in meters.

I think this should also work if we have parts designed with inch units. Vuforia will convert them internally so that all units for model items and models should be further in meters

Top Tags