cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

edit JS in new window?

jmikesell
15-Moonstone

edit JS in new window?

Has anyone figured out a reliable way to edit the Home.js in a new window either in studio or in an external editor. It is so much faster to not have to click back and forth between the JS and the view to see what all your widget names are.

I have been trying to do it in an external editor which kind of works but Studio will keep trying to over write it. Basically you need to never view the JS in Studio and might need to save in the external editor a few times for it to take in Studio.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jmikesell
15-Moonstone
(To:dupatel)

So i have had good luck with using an external editor (VS Code) as long as you never (per session) open the home.js file in Studio. Once you look at the home.js file in Studio it will try to save it all the time even if you never go back in there. If you do not view the file you can edit it externally without problems, just remember to save it before you preview your project. Same goes for the app.css file. Working with these files in a proper IDE is so much better that doing it in Studio.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dupatel
19-Tanzanite
(To:jmikesell)

@jmikesell Agree with you directly opening the .JS file in external editor is an option however as you observed their could be save conflict with Studio. I believe things will get better with merging of Studio editor with Next Gen Composer as available ThingWorx. However, as per my understanding it is something not be available in near future and might take some time to be available.

-Durgesh

jmikesell
15-Moonstone
(To:dupatel)

So i have had good luck with using an external editor (VS Code) as long as you never (per session) open the home.js file in Studio. Once you look at the home.js file in Studio it will try to save it all the time even if you never go back in there. If you do not view the file you can edit it externally without problems, just remember to save it before you preview your project. Same goes for the app.css file. Working with these files in a proper IDE is so much better that doing it in Studio.

Top Tags