cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

"Enhancement Request" Functionality to display curves and points in Vuforia View

Sandy_Gunner
13-Aquamarine

"Enhancement Request" Functionality to display curves and points in Vuforia View

Hello everyone,

We are aware that, as of now, Vuforia Studio and Vuforia View do not support the display of curves and points.

It would be extremely beneficial to include the functionality to display curves and points in Vuforia.

We have reviewed the available workaround as follows:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS300084 

It seems that , this workaround is for only 2D curves. Nowadays, there are plenty of 3D curves to guide the design as well as marking the critical location such as sealant area .  Furthermore, creating PDFs and images for 2D curves takes a lot of time.

Since curves and points are critical elements for guiding design and ensuring product quality, the ability to display these features is greatly advantageous.

I would be very appreciative if someone could voluntarily pass this message on to the development team.

Thank you in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

Hi @Sandy_Gunner ,

currently as you mentioned the Vuforia Studio /in View / does not support point and curvs. On possibly enhancement comming soon is the highlighting  of edges - which means that you can render geometry where the all edges are highlighted - this is only render option. I have no information if only the ecges could be displayed. 

the issue is more general , so therefore that this could not be an easy enhancement if R&D decide to add something there. The problem there is , so far I know that  the PVZ format which is a light /compressed and size minimized format for viewing/ does not contain structures for curvs and points. 

Ok a point could be done as small volume -there is possibly a workaroud using  a small cuboid which we could add with the JS Api

2024-03-04_10-03-01.jpg

so the api is  tml3dRenderer.add3DObject()

So for example you can create with folliwng code a cuboid on postion x,y,z and length , width and hight   respectively dx,dy,dz and color as rgba vector

Example:

//========================

$scope.app.add3DCube = function(x,y,z,dx,dy,dz,colorVector) {
     x-=dx/2; y-=dy/2 ;z+=dz/2
	let vertices = [ x, y,  z, x+dx,  y,  z,  x+dx,    y+dy,  z, x,   y+dy,     z, x,         y,           z-dz,        x,  y+dy,     z-dz,     x+dx,   y+dy,     z-dz, x+dx,   y,     z-dz,
                           x,  y+dy,     z-dz,   x,   y+dy,      z,  x+dx,   y+dy,      z,   x+dx,   y+dy,      z-dz,   x,  y,   z-dz,   x+dx,   y,    z-dz,   x+dx,   y,    z, x,   y,     z,
                           x+dx,  y,     z-dz,   x+dx,  y+dy,        z-dz, x+dx,  y+dy,  z,    x+dx,  y,      z,  x ,  y,    z-dz,  x    ,  y,    z,   x ,  y+dy,     z, x ,  y+dy,  z-dz ];

let normals = [ 0.0,  0.0,  1.0, 0.0,  0.0,  1.0,0.0,  0.0,  1.0,0.0,  0.0,  1.0, 0.0,  0.0, -1.0,0.0,  0.0, -1.0, 0.0,  0.0, -1.0, 0.0,  0.0, -1.0,
                           0.0,  1.0,  0.0,0.0,  1.0,  0.0, 0.0,  1.0,  0.0, 0.0,  1.0,  0.0,  0.0, -1.0,  0.0,  0.0, -1.0,  0.0, 0.0, -1.0,  0.0, 0.0, -1.0,  0.0,
                           1.0,  0.0,  0.0,1.0,  0.0,  0.0,1.0,  0.0,  0.0, 1.0,  0.0,  0.0,  -1.0,  0.0,  0.0,  -1.0,  0.0,  0.0, -1.0,  0.0,  0.0, -1.0,  0.0,  0.0 ];
	let faceIndices = [ 0,  1,  2,      0,  2,  3,  4,  5,  6,  4,  6,  7,   8,  9,  10,     8,  10, 11,  12, 13, 14,   12, 14, 15,   16, 17, 18,  16, 18, 19,  20, 21, 22,   20, 22, 23 ];
    const object3DName = 'ent-'+$scope.Global_Del_Count.toString()+"-"
                                     +($scope.Global_Count).toString()  +"-"+($scope.app.xyz++).toString();
                object3DNames[$scope.Global_Count].push(object3DName.trim())

tml3dRenderer.add3DObject('tracker1',object3DName, //($scope.app.xyz++).toString(),
                                               vertices, normals, [], faceIndices, colorVector, null, null, $scope.successcallback, $scope.failcallback);
}
//=======================================================
//and usage e.g. to create a curve
  let max=[1,2,3]
  let min=[0,0,0]
  let nump=200
 $timeout(()=>{ $scope.app.createLine(min,max,nump)},2000)
///// where the create is something like this below
$scope.app.createLine=(min,max,numpoints)=>{
  object3DNames[$scope.Global_Count]=[]
  $scope.Global_Count=0
  $scope.Global_Del_Count++
  deltaX=(max[0]-min[0])/numpoints
  deltaY=(max[1]-min[1])/numpoints
  deltaZ=(max[2]-min[2])/numpoints
   let x=0
   let y=0
   let z=0;
  for(let i=0; i <numpoints;i++) {
  x= x+deltaX
  y=y+deltaY
  z=z+deltaZ
    console.log("x,y,z="+x+","+y+","+z+"  i="+i)

$scope.app.add3DCube(x,y,z,deltaX,deltaY,deltaZ,[1.0,  0.1,  0.1,  1.0])

}
        $scope.Global_Count++
}
//===============

This code above is only an example what I tested and therefore could confirm that it works but want to mentioned here that  it is not the best programming style e.g. for implementing  here using   many cuboids - shown on the picture

So regarding to the curv creation - as it is currently not possible and it is not supported by the PVZ format - so you could use this workaround to create you curv from many points (e.g. cuboids) . There is a simple implmentation of line shown

So what I think could be  better - you can create insead of curvs a small d3Sweeps - pipes which are displayed in Vuforia Studio example:

2024-03-02_00-16-34.jpg

so model in onShape but this works also in Creo Parametric. And then export pvz :

2024-03-02_00-20-06.jpg

And in preview:

2024-03-02_00-22-28.jpg

Hi @RolandRaytchev 

Thank you for suggesting two different workaround (dynamically placing cuboid along the curve as well as sweeping the curve in CAD software before importing to Vuforia Studio).

If there is single curve then this could be a good workaround to show the curve but if the numbers of curves are more this will be more time consuming.

I have a query related to the cuboid placement to draw the curve. Can it be useful to draw a curve which isn't straight ? In attached figure, the created curve seems to be a straight curve.

We understand that the PVZ format is a light /compressed and size minimized format for viewing/ does not contain structures for curves and points but what about the chance of modifying the settings of the PVZ format so that it can contains structures for curves and points from R&D side?  Curve and points visibility in Vuforia will be great beneficial for all the manufacturing industries.

Best Regards,

sandy

Hi @Sandy_Gunner , ok, understand , reported this requirement to PTC Product Managment as Jira Ticket VTS-1902.

Hi @RolandRaytchev 

Thank you very much for your support.

Looking forward to get this enhancement request resolved in coming version of the Vuforia in near future.

Top Tags