cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Is it possible for me to simply exceed the 500 character limit of the string Length?

OnurNalbantoglu
13-Aquamarine

Is it possible for me to simply exceed the 500 character limit of the string Length?

onur_0-1672144055548.png

onur_1-1672144104487.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I don't think so. The 500 character limit is, I believe, hard coded into Windchill.

If you need a longer length field, open an Idea in the community so PTC will see the request.

I would guess most Windchill admins will vote it up. 

However, getting an Idea acknowledged and voted up does not mean PTC will implement the change. IF they happen to be working on that area of the code for some other change, then the chances improve for a change to the string limit.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

I don't think so. The 500 character limit is, I believe, hard coded into Windchill.

If you need a longer length field, open an Idea in the community so PTC will see the request.

I would guess most Windchill admins will vote it up. 

However, getting an Idea acknowledged and voted up does not mean PTC will implement the change. IF they happen to be working on that area of the code for some other change, then the chances improve for a change to the string limit.

If you update your database to exceed the character limit, it will cause issues in your upgrade. I would not recommend trying to exceed 500 characters. I would recommend instead, using a second field. 

I think this would be the most reasonable solution. I don't like to change things in the database. It's not a risk I can take for the future. thank you.

I concur. I have done an upgrade where someone had increased character limit in the database. This caused a failure in the upgrade. To solve that I had to create a copy of the table, then truncate it. After the upgrade we could increase the character limit and copy the data back; but that would cause a failure in the next upgrade so we instead left it truncated and enforced the 500 character limit. For the future, we created a second field to be utilized if more than 500 characters are required.

As for IBAs, we extend them up to 4000 byte (= 1333 characters).

Refer to following article.

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/cs249295

I hope this is helpful for you.

The column size in the dB where the String is store has a size of 500. In fact, there are actually two column in the same table that would need to have their size increased.

So, that’s a negative unless you are going to increase the column size.

That covers the dB side

On the application side the class the creates the entry into the dB has an upperLimit = 500

constraint.

So, you have to edit the dB table and the class in Windchill.

I wouldn’t recommend it.

How about unchecking the Single Value constraint on the attribute? Band-aid solution for sure and not pretty but you’ll

have more room.

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Send more than 500 Characters to a bot using LUIS

Expected behavior

The 500 Character Limit is a built in limitation of LUIS, it would be expected that the bot framework truncate the text sent to LUIS to be 500 Characters or less. Allowing LUIS to return an intent and not cause an error.

Our partner company was able to increase the number of characters for the Resulting Objects table to 2000 characters and the out of the box Description on a Change Notice to 4000 so I would assume it could be done on a problem report.

This has never created a problem during an upgrade as far as I know.

STEVEG_1-1672261444758.png

We were told it is fully supported by PTC.

I found this on PTC's website:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/cs129982?language=en&posno=1&q=comment%20change%20task%20character%20limit&source=search

I started a vote so that it can be resolved without changing anything on the server, but I think your solution is quite reasonable as well. Thank you. 

Top Tags