cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Changing attributes data type

bcole
3-Visitor

Changing attributes data type

I am tyring to change the data type of a few attributes from "string" to "integer". We are using Creo 3.0 and Intralink 11 (if that matters).  I have logged in as the administrator and looked through the "type and attribute management", but I cannot figure out how to edit the attribute type. Under the data type it says "java.lang.String". When I click edit under actions, it doesn't give the option to change it. The option must be hidden in here somewhere...

And it isn't editable from the relation window in Creo, but is designated and set as user-defined. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bsindelar
6-Contributor
(To:bcole)

You are looking at the correct area, but unfortunately when an IBA (attribute) is created in Windchill, once it exists you CANNOT modify it's type through the GUI.  You also cannot modify it's internal name - only the "display name".

What you will likely need to do is create a new attribute of integer type and give it a similar, but different internal and display name.  Then, you will have to create a new parameter in Creo and designate it with that IBA.

Once that is all done, you can then HIDE the "string" attribute from the object type in Windchill.  While you CAN delete it, if objects exist that have data in that attribute you will end up deleting all that data!

Thus, the end result will be you'll have 2 attributes on the object type, but only one will be active with the display name you want, and the other will be hidden (you can even put "disabled" in the display name, if you wanted to, although no one would see it ideally).

I suppose in theory you COULD modify the IBA's type by direct DB modification, but I wouldn't recommend it and it wouldn't be PTC supported.  Also, since "integer" is more limiting than "string", you'd have to make sure even if you updated the type correctly you'd have to go through all the data values on that attribute and make sure they are all "integer compatible".

Feel free to drop me a line if you have any other questions or would like to discuss other Windchill-related needs you may have.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
bsindelar
6-Contributor

You are looking at the correct area, but unfortunately when an IBA (attribute) is created in Windchill, once it exists you CANNOT modify it's type through the GUI.  You also cannot modify it's internal name - only the "display name".

What you will likely need to do is create a new attribute of integer type and give it a similar, but different internal and display name.  Then, you will have to create a new parameter in Creo and designate it with that IBA.

Once that is all done, you can then HIDE the "string" attribute from the object type in Windchill.  While you CAN delete it, if objects exist that have data in that attribute you will end up deleting all that data!

Thus, the end result will be you'll have 2 attributes on the object type, but only one will be active with the display name you want, and the other will be hidden (you can even put "disabled" in the display name, if you wanted to, although no one would see it ideally).

I suppose in theory you COULD modify the IBA's type by direct DB modification, but I wouldn't recommend it and it wouldn't be PTC supported.  Also, since "integer" is more limiting than "string", you'd have to make sure even if you updated the type correctly you'd have to go through all the data values on that attribute and make sure they are all "integer compatible".

Feel free to drop me a line if you have any other questions or would like to discuss other Windchill-related needs you may have.

STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:bsindelar)

@bcole

Please mark this as the solution if you believe it has been answered.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Once the data has been eneterd, you cannot change its type.

Your best recourse is to create new attributes in the proper format.

Top Tags