cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Create own context

VasiliyRepecki
1-Newbie

Create own context

Hi.

Is there any way to create own context in Windchill?

Or maybe some object with similar behavior/properties?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

A long time ago, I did a project where we create a new container called IdeaContainer that was a new container class and it all worked so it is feasible

Simon

Wincom Consulting

Hi.

I implemented WTContainer interface and got an error "A context can only be created using the WTContainerService.create API." when tried to create instance of my class.

Can you help me?

Dear Vasiliy,

First question is why would you want to do this? If you are trying to create a brand new context class (WTContainer) e.g. not a Product, Project2, Library etc. It will not be a supported customization and you open yourself to a host of potential problems such as upgrade etc. or are you trying to programmatically create an existing one? In which case there are APIs for each kind of context to create.

We did create a new context class a long time ago when we created an experimental new link we called IdeaLink. It was not a trival thing to do and was a new product based on Windchill, it never got out of beta due to questions on support and upgrades. IMHO The only people who are capable to really support a new product on Windchill are PTC themselves or very close partners.

Coming back to the technical side, if this is a new context class so you will need to create the associated database and do a host of things to make this work. I cannot help you further, partly as it will take time to work out and partly due to the fact this is not a sensible thing to do

Sorry to be blunt, but as developers we must always balance cost of ownership vs ROI

Best Regards,

Simon

Wincom+Very+Small.png

Ok. Thanks.

Top Tags