cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

I can't purge in windchill because of its references

OnurNalbantoglu
13-Aquamarine

I can't purge in windchill because of its references

There are too many references between the data and I think I have too much garbage data. What do you think I can do? is there a way for me to remove references from past versions? Thank you very much in advance. I'm talking about CAD data.

6 REPLIES 6

Start with removing unreferenced files.

Limit your purge operation to a few hundred files at a time.

Hi Ben, how can i see unreferenced data in a table. Is it possible to detect this in report management? I think I should check if it works. I found the following article in Support, but it does not allow me to review. Thank you. 

If you are able to determine that garbage data, is it possible to delete it? That should free something up. 

It could also be your data organization. Typically purging is done in a single context but if your references are spread across multiple products and libraries, it may not be able to bring those references into a single purge job. You can construct a multiple context purge job to include all areas that might have references. It can be a frustrating effort like clearing a briar patch with a pair of scissors. Guiding users on good practices like not creating circular references it a good start.

For myself, I've been working on a project to clear 54 products worth of data from a divested site (sorry Jeff). This is a pure delete but I find that running a quick purge job helps the process however I know there is data in another product area which has references to the data I am trying to delete. Good thing is that I know its all junk. Slash and burn.

The process I have works fairly well and I can use OOTB tools to empty an area in an hour of thousands of objects. Work on Parts, CAD drawings, CAD assemblies and then CAD Parts in that order. Purge to remove all but last iteration, rerun if needed. I created two reports, one for parts and one for cad docs, that return items that have no where used or references for any iteration. It means that these items are free and clear to be deleted. I connect those queries to a search result which lists all parts or cad docs by doc type for that context I want to clear. Then I use the mass delete tools in the search page to whack them. Refreshing typically now reveals more items to remove. Repeat the process until 0 results, Then move on to another object type.

At the bottom, you will find items that are referenced by items in another area. Select on one of these and use the collect to grab where used, parts, drawings until you have a stable set and delete them. That typically frees up more items to return to using the search result and the no where used query.

I am attaching two QML reports, one for parts and one for CAD Docs. Modify has you see fit and make available for Advanced Search. My old products all have ZZZ as a prefix so I limited constraints to that. You'll need to modify as needed but this should allow you to identify items to delete that are free of links. "Mostly works" - I would say 95% of the time if does not get tripped up.

avillanueva_0-1676388644571.png

Call it out like this in Advanced Search

avillanueva_1-1676388781341.png

hi Avillanueva, I will try what you wrote and write my experiences under this entry. Thank you very much for now.

Top Tags