cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Increase custom attribute string length

MSC12
1-Newbie

Increase custom attribute string length

Is it possible to increase the string length of custom attributes? I am using a custom attribute to list all of the item numbers associated with that particular document to make it searchable. The max string length is 500 which is too short for some of the documents we have. Is it possible to increase this to 2000 - 2500?

6 REPLIES 6
Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I
(To:MSC12)

Chris,

increasing the string lenght is possible, but with two limits.

Both are depending on the limit of Oracle table.

I don't remember tha maximum lenght we set (our consultant in fact), but I think is 2000, and if this value is the maximum you can set.

This limit is still theoretical, beacause of the Unicode mode.

Real limit for the user is about 1500 instead of 2000 we set in Oracle.

Marco

Marco
PreetiGupta
14-Alexandrite
(To:Marco_Tosin)

We evaluated increasing character limits for Global Attributes couple of weeks ago. The tech support and PTC R&D mentioned that we have to have InfoModeler Module installed for this function to work.

In reality it is not true, we do not own a license for Infomodeler and we could increase Global attributes length on one of the test server. PTC Tech support also confirmed that InfoModeler is not needed, but reaffirmed that PTC R&D thinks that it is a required module to increase the char limit.

So I am not sure why we require Infomodeler when we could execute without Infomodeler. It does not make sense to me.

Marco : Did you implement this with InfoModeler in place?

thanks,

Preeti

You don't need Information Modeler for increasing global attribute length. This will increase length of the variable on all the global attributes.

If you have a custom attribute, then you need an information modeler.  ( I think) 

KD
4-Participant
4-Participant
(To:MSC12)

Hi Chris,

Below is the article about how to increase.

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?source=subscription&n=CS94753

Regards,

Kaushik

MSC12
1-Newbie
(To:KD)

Thanks for the reply from both of you. I saw that article before but it says that it only applies to PDMLink and FlexPLM. Unfortunately our company has Essentials so I don't think that article will work.

Hi

What do you mean with custom-attributes? You mean the standard local attributes which are added with the addcolumns utility?

If so, you need to define a xconf property e.g. and add the size to each modelled class.

<Property name="com.ptc.core.lwc.string.ColumnSizes" overridable="true" targetFile="codebase/wt.properties" value="wt.part.WTPart=3000:wt.doc.WTDocument=2000"/>

And than you need to rerun the addcolumns utility:

AddColumns wt.part.WTPart -stringSize

Top Tags