cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Save As of EPM Document which references other EPM Documents

CHENAMA
12-Amethyst

Save As of EPM Document which references other EPM Documents

Dear community,

We have a case, that a user used references within Creo for hole postions in Part B from Part A.

When he now wants to create a copy of Part B, Windchill always wants to also create a copy of Part A. I have a feeling this should be preference which can be set, that the system does create a third part (call it Part C) which is a copy of Part B including the references to Part A.

Do you know of such a preference or how to handle such a case?

Thanks in advance and BR

CHENAMA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
avillanueva
22-Sapphire I
(To:CHENAMA)

Based on that, found an article on this:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS3348?source=search

Let me know if this works.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

Check the preferences for the collector associated to the Save-As option. 

avillanueva_0-1698673089285.png

this controls what items are added by default when you clicked to do the save-as. Note that the collected items can be changed manually by the user to include or remove items from that list. 

Hi,

We tried this as well, also deactivating or removing collected items, but then we get the following error message:

"Cannot copy the documents listed in this circular dependency because some of them have not been selected for copying. Mark either all or none of the documents for copying."

Even though there is no circular dependency. Selecting then the option copy all, creates a copy of all the EPM documents, Copy none also skips the initally selected EPM Document.

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

Based on that, found an article on this:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS3348?source=search

Let me know if this works.

Tested it now on our test environment with new and already existing data and this preference indeed solves our issue.

You guys rock! Thank you very much @avillanueva & @HelesicPetr 

And also thank you @joe_morton, we're quite new to Creo and are still figuring out things, using a master model sounds interesting, but also then we would need this preference to be set, otherwise Windchill would always want to create a copy of the master model as well, which I assume you want to avoid by any cost.

I would check the model references very carefully again. You can have clean references for this if the engineer used a Copy Geometry or something to that effect. If however the reference was made in an assembly, and the parts are mated to each other in some way, it's very possible that there is a circular dependency. 

Another solution is to use a "Master Model" to define the hole position for both parts. This is the method we use to define interfaces like this. 

Hi All,

@avillanueva is right. 

Turn off the circular dependency is only way how to solve @CHENAMA issue with Windchill.

Turning off the circular dependency to off I always suggest if the designer work style use dependency from assembly to a part or there are many cases when it is wanted to do so. For example flexible models are referenced in an another level of assembly 

Then save as is not possible without saving the referenced model that is wrong from designer view.

PetrH

Top Tags