cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Standard profile turns off change notice

Dobi
14-Alexandrite

Standard profile turns off change notice

I made a recent change where I needed to turn off visibility/write access to specific attributes on WTParts. So profiles seemed the way to go. 

I made a profile that made the desired attributes be read only and added users to it. 

Now, none of those users have the "New/Create Change Notice" option in Actions. 

Both the standard profile i made and the license profiles of the users have "Create Change Notices" and "Start Change Notice Executions" checked, though. 

If I take the users out, the "New" with it's submenu returns. Why? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dobi
14-Alexandrite
(To:HelesicPetr)

It turns out that the solution to this was to "turn it off and turn it back on". 

In other words, my profile was correctly set up. I had to go into to it and turn off the "create change notices" options and then turn them back on and everything came back to life. 

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Dobi
14-Alexandrite
(To:Dobi)

To make matters more confusing, applying the standard OOTB PDB profile seems to restore it despite my profile having identical settings. 

HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I

Hi @Dobi 

It seams that your profile does not have same settings

PetrH

Dobi
14-Alexandrite

You'd think... I went through and lined them up so that they are identical across both but the behavior is still the same. One works and the other doesn't. 

HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I

Hi @Dobi 

I remember that it can case some internal cache and additional settings on the context

go to the team and try to reset the profile settings

you need to do it on each context

HelesicPetr_2-1696487604640.png

it can solve the issue

PetrH

Dobi
14-Alexandrite

It turns out that the solution to this was to "turn it off and turn it back on". 

In other words, my profile was correctly set up. I had to go into to it and turn off the "create change notices" options and then turn them back on and everything came back to life. 

HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I

Hi @Dobi 

that means that the xml file where the configuration is stored was corrupted. 

Not saved correctly or something else, or the system points to old one from the contexts

PS: yes, it is confusing 😄

PetrH

Dobi
14-Alexandrite

Is that in my control for the standard profiles? Or something to do with how the backend is set up? 

HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I

@Dobi 

No, it is not, it is background think. 

PetrH

ishfaqishira
4-Participant

Hey @Dobi , I am facing the same problem. the only difference is that I am unable to see it from the start. Can you please help me in a way that I can understand. Like providing me enough info how to edit the profile or what to edit...? I will be very thankful to you. 

Dobi
14-Alexandrite
(To:ishfaqishira)

Hi @ishfaqishira 

You're unable to see the "New/Change Notice" buttons in Actions? 

First: you have to make sure that you have the right License profile assigned. Windchill Base and greater licenses have change management included but ThingWorx Contribute (for non-CAD) and view licenses don't. You can either check this from Site/Profiles or from Site/Participant Administration and then checking under your account. Both of these assume you have admin access. You're looking for "Create Change Notice" or whatever change object you're interested. 

This is from base:

Dobi_0-1698155283600.png

Meanwhile, this is from a contribute license profile:

Dobi_1-1698155320856.png

If the license profile you have assigned doesn't allow for change notices, stop here and contact PTC or your VAR to get the right license first. 

If the correct license profile is assigned, then make sure that you don't have multiple ones assigned that would be conflicting (I ran into this a while back). If you have a Base license AND a Contribute license it will end up being that the more restrictive option will be enforced... at least that was my experience. So, second: make sure that you confirm that of the license profiles you have assigned to your account you don't have one that would allow for change notice creation and then a different one that wouldn't. Remove the one that doesn't give you the capability you need. 

Third: This was my issue, above. Standard profiles are also at Site/Profiles or Org/Profiles and these just further hide actions that the user has permissions for via license profiles but you don't want to enable for that particular group. I use this specifically to allow read/write access to particular attributes to a subset of users. Here, make sure that your "Create Change Notice" option is also checked. I did have to uncheck the option for change notices and then turn it back on. 

If all of that says that you ought to have access to change notices in the Actions menu but you still don't see them, it may be that your issue isn't with the license profiles but rather with the custom-actions.xml. 

In our installation we have a custom change notice type that is called out in the custom-actions.xml and the custom-actionsModels.xml. It may be that there is no change notice type defined (or perhaps it's commented out). 

Dobi_2-1698155972926.png

ishfaqishira
4-Participant

Thanks for the brief. The only problem here is that I'm using windchill 10.0 and there's no profile option in it. Any other way to get to that point...?

Dobi
14-Alexandrite
(To:ishfaqishira)

I haven't used Windchill 10 in a few years now so not sure I can be of too much help there. 

Do you have site admin access? 

Hi @ishfaqishira 

You should check ACL rules for the role where the user is in. 

Windchill 10.0 has a profiles, but they are not used if administrator didn't set them.

You should work with your Windchill administrator to get more information how the system works

Also you just said Windchill 10.0 but Windchill Essential  is also Windchill with very small group of functions

where full change management can not be used. Just promotion can be.

PetrH  

Thanks a lot Mr. @HelesicPetr  & @Dobi , I've been assigned the task to know Windchill. The old administrator is far gone and I am just a newbie with just designing experience as well as checking in, out etc. I made my team and researched a little about windchill and its functions and wanted to implement it because it can do wonders and reduce manpower extraordinarily. 

But unfortunately it seems like we have the license of Windchill Essential and that's why only promotion requests can be generated. 

While researching, I logged on to my administrator account and went through each and every option and found many options which would let me in into the policies of Change request and Notices etc etc... But let's see where my self-research takes me and whether I can come up with a solution or not...

Does Windchill Essential License has access to edit Change Request or Change Notice policies.? 

I am trying to make a word file with enough pictures to understand it. Will share it soon with you guys. Take care till then.

See you

Ishfaq

Hi @ishfaqishira 

If the Windchill installation is Essentials then the change management is not part of the system even though the ACL exists.

CS165787 - Windchill Capabilities excluded from Windchill PDM Essential

PetrH

Hey there. Once again thank for your precious help and time.

I went through many options and found something interesting and helpful in our installation guide. At the time of installation, a screenshot was taken and all PLM installation options were unavailable to install ( as you can see in the attachment). This, for sure means that our license is only capable of CAD processes and promotion requests. I even found change requests in profile options which I was unable to edit maybe because of the license... 

Pl. See the attached file for confirmation and also a little help regarding Upgradation of license to latest windchill (full version); like everything it is capable of and also an idea about how much it'll charge or where can I get that idea...?

Hi @ishfaqishira 

Oh Windchill Pro/Intralink is also light version of the Windchill PDMLink.

It is very similar as a Windchill Essentials. 

Pro/Intralink also does not contain full Change Management process

only "promotion" or "set state" can be used  

PS> you can buy full PDMLink licence and upgrade the system to the Windchill PDMLink 

PetrH

Dobi
14-Alexandrite

Hi @ishfaqishira 

What @HelesicPetr said is your answer. If you want change management, you'll need to install Windchill PDMLink and get appropriate licenses.

It will be a new installation, though and potentially a data migration between the systems. It's a big effort... 

In PDMLink you need Windchill Base Licenses (at a minimum). If you're using Creo, you'll also need the Creo Visualization and Data Management add on (the Creo to Windchill CAD connector). For SW you'll need the Mechanical Design 1 and if you're using NX, Mechanical Design 2 licenses. Three licenses total per user (assuming all CAD users). 

It's best you work with your VAR to get quotes. Depending on number of licenses and various deals going on, you may be able to get different pricing than what is listed. 

HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I

@Dobi 

It does not have to necessary be a new installation. You can still upgrade(migrate) Pro/Intralink to PDMLink. 

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS28170

Do not change two different systems "ProIntralink 3.4" with "Pro/Intralink 10.0" 

PetrH

Top Tags