cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Windchill revision override

dgrobe
6-Contributor

Windchill revision override

is there a way to override a revision in windchill.  we did a data migration from Intralink, and some of the revisions are at the incorrect revision.  mainly due to new items being duplicated, the revs werent correct in intralink to begin with.

anyway, i have objects, that are at rev 4.1 in windchill, but the actual rev of the part is 1.  is there any way to do this without deleting the object from commonspace, and reimporting.

thanks for your time

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bsindelar
6-Contributor
(To:dgrobe)

The short answer is that yes, you can override the "next" revision to occur to be manually put in by the user.  It is a preference you can set at site or org level called "allow override on revise".

The issue though is that you can only override going forward in the rev scheme, not backward.  Assuming a sequentially-increasing numeric rev scheme, if you had an object at rev 1 but it should be at rev 4, you can revise rev 1 and go straight to 4, skipping rev 2 and 3.  You cannot do it backwards though (from 4 to 1) because eventually you will cause a conflict with the object eventually getting back to revision 4 "again", which will cause uniqueness issues.

The "real" answer is that through database manipulation there are ways to make these corrections, but it isn't easy or straight-forward.  If you are interested into looking into this, please send me a direct e-mail at robert.sindelar@eccellent.com with a few more details (what WC object types, approximate counts, etc).  My company has several years experience in all things Windchill and we could provide a quote for you for this project.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
bsindelar
6-Contributor
(To:dgrobe)

The short answer is that yes, you can override the "next" revision to occur to be manually put in by the user.  It is a preference you can set at site or org level called "allow override on revise".

The issue though is that you can only override going forward in the rev scheme, not backward.  Assuming a sequentially-increasing numeric rev scheme, if you had an object at rev 1 but it should be at rev 4, you can revise rev 1 and go straight to 4, skipping rev 2 and 3.  You cannot do it backwards though (from 4 to 1) because eventually you will cause a conflict with the object eventually getting back to revision 4 "again", which will cause uniqueness issues.

The "real" answer is that through database manipulation there are ways to make these corrections, but it isn't easy or straight-forward.  If you are interested into looking into this, please send me a direct e-mail at robert.sindelar@eccellent.com with a few more details (what WC object types, approximate counts, etc).  My company has several years experience in all things Windchill and we could provide a quote for you for this project.

dgrobe
6-Contributor
(To:bsindelar)

thats what i was afraid of.  we will attack it from the other side, and revise to match Creo for this wave.  thanks anywyay

Top Tags