cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Family Table Cell Oddities

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Family Table Cell Oddities

The disappearing cursor is being worked on, but now I have had another oddity come up in family table cells.

The IT department has recommended that I check with PTC on this for possible RAM allocation error.

The issues is that I had a MasterCAM logo show up in (2) of my family table cells. It is not very repeatable.

I took a screen dump so here are two snippets of the family table:

Dale_Rosema_0-1698335326475.png

Dale_Rosema_1-1698335341745.png

Thanks,

Dale

11 REPLIES 11
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Dale_Rosema)

Have you rebooted your workstation recently?

I find some of those 'can't explain weirdness' to be caused by memory allocation issues where Creo does not release all memory when it closes. A reboot is the only way to free up that memory.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:BenLoosli)

Shut it down every Friday. Boot it anew every Monday.

How often does everyone else reboot there systems?

kdirth
20-Turquoise

I restart every night and shut it down on Fridays.

Also, be aware that with many newer systems, shutdown does not create a restart when you start up the computer the next day.  Shutdown is more like a deep sleep for the computer to enable a quicker start up and does not clear the memory.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:kdirth)

I thought that is why they added "sleep" vs "shutdown" where the latter preforms a restart.

kdirth
20-Turquoise

I am going by what my son, the computer geek, told me.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
StephenW
23-Emerald II

I restart every night prior to going home. There have been countless times I have been asked to help someone and it turns out they have had a model open for days/weeks/months and everything has become completely irrational!!! 

I only shut down on occasion, mostly if i have odd issues that don't seem reasonable!!!

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:StephenW)

I find that I might have 15 windows or so open at closing, so that is why I do the Friday thing. It's just me (and and intern), so I don't have to worry about drawings be open for weeks/months. I reboot the 2nd computer every Monday when I get in.

Did the geek son explain the difference between sleep, shutdown and restart?

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

From our IT company:

Sleep - basically turn off power but doesn't clear any memory or shut down apps.

Restart  - closes apps and powers off but doesn't totally clear cache to that you can get a faster restart.

Shutdown - clear everything and powers down. Fresh boot when starting back up.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

The reboot question is one of the first things I ask my users when they ask for help with something random and/or weird.

As for me, I used to reboot every Friday before heading home and making sure the workstation comes back before walking out the door. About a month ago, it did not restart and IT had to go in set some system parameters to rebuild the computer on reboot. Took 2 reboots for the system to come back and allow me to login. Been reluctant to reboot since then. 

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:BenLoosli)

It didn't last long, but I had a brief event within the first hour or two on Monday.

You took a "screen dump" of the "big dump" Creo took in your family table.  Got it!🤣

That is bizarre though, never had anything like that happen, never thought something like that COULD happen.  Sounds like maybe a graphics card issue?  I had these weird "sparklies" all over my screen recently, not just in Creo but across everything including my background.  Manually turned the power off, waited a few minutes, fired it back up, and problem solved.

Best of luck!

Top Tags