cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Ghost object from template

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

Ghost object from template

I have two files as templates in WF4 and PDMLink 9.1.A drawing that has an assembly file attached. However, there is no model within the assembly. It only has default datums and a few other things set up. I select File > New > Assembly, type in a Name and select OK. The next dialog showswe have the assembly listed as a Template. I leave the Copy associated drawings checked and finish.

At this point I look at my workspace and I see the drawing and its ghost object assembly.When I save the assembly it says Object of the same name already exists in the Workspace. I select Okand look in my workspace again. No more ghost object.

If I Uncheck the Copy associated drawings on the New file dialog box then I do not get the ghost object.

Is there any way to prevent the ghost object without unchecking the Copy associated drawings? If not does this hurt anything? I think it should be ok but just wanted to check.

Steve Galayda

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2
STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:STEVEG)

I received no replies.

Steve G
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:STEVEG)

Steve,

I'm going to take a guess at what Pro/e is doing.

Creating a new part or assembly is nothing more than doing a behind the scenes save-a-copy of some pre-existing template (unless blank is used). Whenever save-a-copy (or replace-by-copy) is done (in Pro/e, not from the Workspace), Pro/e checks to see if there is a drawing with the same name as the model. If there is, then it will automatically make a copy of the drawing at the same time it copies the model. Now the model only gets copied in session, but the drawing get immediately copied to disk. (If it didn't, you would have to remember to find the drawing that was just duplicated in session, open it from session, and then save it, or when you closed Pro/e you would lose it.) As soon as the drawing shows up on disk (in the workspace), the PDM system recognizes that this drawing needs a model. Since the model for this drawing doesn't exist in the workspace (only is session right now) it creates a ghost object for it in the workspace. Later, when you've finished making changes to the newly created model and you go to save it, the message pops up telling you there is already an object in your workspace with this same name (even though it's a ghost object) and you are about to overwrite it. Overwriting it does just, overwrite it, and that shouldn't cause any issues.

I have no idea if there is a setting or config option to suppress the overwrite warning when the object about to be overwritten is a ghost object.

Tom U.
Top Tags