cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

How to make drawing view normal to a slanted surface?

jhc
3-Visitor
3-Visitor

How to make drawing view normal to a slanted surface?

Seems like this should be something that is very easy to do, but I'm having difficulty finding out how to do it.  I have an angled bracket made out of sheet metal.  There is a 45 degree angle bend and on that bend there are two holes going through it normal to the surface.  I want to have a drawing view flat on that surface so I can dimension the hole position properly.  How do I do this?

I tried creating a view in the view manager normal to the surface with the holes and saved that view, but it doesn't come up in the drawing when I try to select a view using General View. In SolidWorks this was very easy to do, but I can't figure out how to do this in Creo.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:jhc)

The easiest way is in the drawing, layout tab, auxillary view, select the edge of the part that is at the angle you want to project. Then drag the view out in the direction you want it to project.

If you have the axis showing in the drawing, you can select the axis instead of the edge.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
StephenW
23-Emerald II

The easiest way is in the drawing, layout tab, auxillary view, select the edge of the part that is at the angle you want to project. Then drag the view out in the direction you want it to project.

If you have the axis showing in the drawing, you can select the axis instead of the edge.

jhc
3-Visitor
3-Visitor
(To:StephenW)

Hmm I've tried doing that. Auxiliary view does work when I click on the edge of the flat surface, but when I click on the edge of the 45 degree bend surface then it does not pull out and won't let me create the view.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Is it a compound angle? (the edge is not truly flat on the screen)

Most of the time, if I have an axis, I use the axis, because you know it will always be perpendicular to the surface you want flat to screen.

jhc
3-Visitor
3-Visitor
(To:StephenW)

It was a flat edge, but it didn't work for some reason. I was able to make it work by creating a plane on the flat surface and then selecting that when creating the auxiliary view.

Thanks for your help! It led me to finding out what I needed to do.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Just remember that is someone comes along after you and deletes that plane because they think it's not needed, the drawing view will "freeze" and generate an error message

I usually name the datum plane something that will tell the next guy why it's there or at least give him a hint.

EDIT:

Using edges and axis have the same problem though, if the edge/axis changes ID or gets deleted, the view freezes.

Top Tags