cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Notes referencing BOM index numbers

ptc-292364
5-Regular Member

Notes referencing BOM index numbers

Does anyone have a way to reference boms in a drawing note? I would like to make my drawing note intelligent so if the BOM changes my notes do also.

i.e. Bond item (rpt.index) to item (rpt.index) with item (rpt.index).

1.jpg3.jpg2jpg.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:ptc-292364)

No, unfortunately you can not reference BOM index #'s in drawing notes.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:ptc-292364)

You can vote on this enhancement request but there was a comment in another request that has since been archived by a PTC VP that mentioned that there are some pretty daunting challenges to make this work. I took that as meaning its not going to happen.

https://community.ptc.com/t5/3D-Part-Assembly-Design/BOM-Balloon-Parameters-in-Notes/m-p/454662

this is the reference post https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Parametric-Ideas/Repeat-index-parameter-value-as-by-rpt-index-for-example-in-a/idi-p/454250

When I've absolutely had to have such a thing in notes, I've been forced to resort to using parameters from the parts themselves, like "BOND DescriptionBOM:2 TO DescriptionBOM:8 WITH DescriptionBOM:16" or something like that. It's not nice or convenient.

There are ways of accomplishing this by having a component level parameter being used for the balloons and then using same in the notes.

Not straightforward, but search this forum for "FINDNUMBER" of "Find Number" and review the results,

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:pausob)

The issue with using part parameters is the BOM find number will change when a component is used in multiple assemblies.

Yes, part level parameters might not won't work.  Though I was talking about component level parameters.

I was under the impression there are even ways to get these auto-linked to information from Windchill - seems useful for, e.g., maintaining service BOMS and drawings related to maintenance procedures.

Hi ptc-292364, I try to answer (sorry for my english).

I tried this method but I'm not sure if it will work for you.

-I created an identical copy of the table (with the same SORT REGION as the main table).

-In the new table in repeat region I created a relationship (I use PTC_COMMON_NAME to recall the UNIVOCAL name of the detail in the table):

if ASM_MBR_PTC_COMMON_NAME == " UNIVOCAL NAME"

COUNT1=rpt_index

ELSE

COUNT1=""

ENDIF

-Then I added a column to the new table and inside I inserted the report parameter rpt→rel→user defined→ COUNT1

-At the bottom of the new table I added a row.

-Inside the cell of the new row and new column with repeat region →summation →add→by name→COUNT1 I have inserted a new variable (pippo1) which sums up the values of the new column.

-I used &pippo1:d to get the rpt_index value for the note.

-I repeated everything (in relationship with new if and COUNT2) to get a new variable pippo2 corresponding to rpt_index of different detail.

-I've hidden the copy of the table in a layer.

ptc-292364
5-Regular Member
(To:BFausto)

This sounds interesting. Do you have a copy of the table you can upload? I'm not following 100%. Thank you.

I am attaching image of the tables (main and copy) in Table → Format → Switch Syms.

Note: before using the method try it well (I don't use it).

Top Tags