cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

SolidWorks. Hole Wizard. Say no more.

coroto
1-Newbie

SolidWorks. Hole Wizard. Say no more.

Anyone who has used SolidWorks with its handy Hole Wizard knows what I'm talking about.

I'm a loyal CoCreate type through & through, but this is an area where Modeling really lags in an embarrassing way.

PTC Elements/Direct Modeling has the Machining Module and the (obsolete?) 3D Library and the Part Library, all of which can take care of certain standard hole types or standard fasteners to go with them, but there are different UIs and inconsistencies throughout, not to mention missing functionality.

I'd like to see:

• More comprehensive thread availability (more than "stock" product provides today.
  • Improved configuration w/o having to edit LISP table definitions.
  • Better integration with hole callout capability in Annotation.  A single dimensioning action should be able to make a hole callout listing all the relevant hole parameters, e.g.
    • Count of the number of same hole types in any pattern that applies to the selected hole.
    • Thread definition in industry-standard text that is done properly.
    • Hole feature parameters like countersink (by O.D. not depth), countersink included angle, etc. and "THRU" for holes that go all the way through the part.
  • Something like "cosmetic threads" whereby threaded sections get a decal/texture that looks appropriately threaded.

I'm sure others will think of more in this regard.  I just wanted to suggest something "Hole-Wizardish" as an example of a well known implementation that works much better than what Modeling currently provides.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Additionally I´d like to see:

Full associativity to Annotation drawings, e.g if you add toleranzes or IT-Tolerances (H7, G6, ..) to the zylindrical face, dimensions in Annotation ahould be updated automatically.

Another "idea" that is realted to this one:

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/1137

Top Tags