cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Creo Flow Analysis - Simulate Rate of Increase in Pressure on a Piston

ptc-1420133
4-Participant

Creo Flow Analysis - Simulate Rate of Increase in Pressure on a Piston

I am using PTC Creo 7.0 and want to analyse the behaviour of pressure in a braking system. I was thinking to use a simplified model consisting of a length of brake line (4.8mm bore) connected to a piston inside a cylinder. (35mm diameter with 0.5mm stroke)

I would then introduce restrictions in the brake line and analyse the effect on pressure build up behind the piston.

Does anyone have experience with a model similar to this?

As a starting point, I have created a transient flow analysis of a simple brake line with a restriction, but without the piston element: the brake line is set with 8000000Pa inlet pressure and 0Pa outlet pressure but this is not yielding the expected results (i.e. a ramp up in pressure from zero, finishing with the outlet pressure equaling the  inlet pressure).

This is the result I obtain currently:

ptc1420133_0-1707732479103.png

Looks o.k. so far, however if I simulate a number of different restriction diameters, I get this:

ptc1420133_1-1707732584439.png

I would expect final outlet pressure to equal input pressure once the system reaches equilibrium if I have modelled it correctly - the results make me think my chosen model settings are wrong somewhere.

Inlet and Outlet settings are:

Inlet:

ptc1420133_1-1707738516149.png

Outlet:

ptc1420133_0-1707738456943.png

Any ideas where I might be able to improve this?

Thanks very much for any help!

4 REPLIES 4

Hi this is a very interesting case, creo flow can simulate this. please contact ptc support or Simerics support directly if you want to get help. Basically you need to use moving/sliding mesh to model piston moving and add restriction to your brake line. Thanks

ptc-1420133
4-Participant
(To:cfdgeek)

Thank you @cfdgeek - I think part of my issue was that my license would not allow creation of a moving/sliding mesh. I was trying to come up with a workaround without the need for the moving piston element by specifying appropriate boundary conditions for each end of the tube.

Got it. In this case, we can use expression to apply a transient boundary condition based on time steps. 

ptc-1420133
4-Participant
(To:cfdgeek)

Thank you - would you have an example of how I'd specify that expression?

Announcements

Top Tags