cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Label on a spherical surface

dfisher-2
1-Newbie

Label on a spherical surface

Hi all,

Wonder if anyone can help.

I have a common situation where I need a drawing of a label (so its flat), and also need to show it on the assembled product (where it is curved around a surface). Seems from my searches that the most recommended method is to use a family table, which is fine.

The problem I am having is modelling the actual label in its assembled form! My first thought was to model it in the assembly, so I created a new part and sketched out the label on a plane, and projected it onto the surface in question. I am then able to open the part separately and have the formed projection in the part. So I now need to create the part from this projection, which is where I get stuck.

I have not used projection much in the past, but I am assuming this is just an outline that I need to create a surface on, and then make solid so I can give a thickness ? Alas I have zero experience with surface modelling so am not even sure where to start

CaptureA.PNG

Its hard to see from the image, but the "horizontal" lines have a slight curve, and so do the "vertical" lines.

Any advice ? If there is a tutorial somewhere that I can read/watch, thats fine, but I really have no idea what to be searching for and everything I have tried so far has not worked. I've read most posts/threads/forums about "curved" labels, but unfortunately they all seem to be related to curving in a single plane.

Appreciate any replies,

BR

Dave

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Look up toroidal bend.

projecting curves onto surfaces is a lot more accurate then the graphics for a label.

Look up "project" and map "surface normal" so it truly wraps your defined label curves.

As for making the label model; once the label is projected, you can also trim that surface to the label.  Then thicken it in the right direction.

Thanks both for your replies. The toroidal blend looks like it would have been ideal if I knew the radii of the surfaces I need to assemble to, and I still couldn't fathom out the surface thing.

In the end I did a swept blend, using the two long sides as the trajectories and the two shorter sides as the start and finish sections, then added a thickness. Worked just fine for my needs.

Small label assembled on the side:

CaptureB.PNG

Larger label part (top the assembled curved label, bottom the flat version for the drawing, but gives an idea of the curvatures):

CaptureC.PNG

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags