cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Hiding datums

ChristianSmith
1-Newbie

Hiding datums

Is there any way to hide the yellow datums that appear in assemblies or parts? With normal datums you can just hide them, I can't seem to figure out how to hide these ones or if there is a hide/show button for them. What I'm talking about is shown in the image. The yellow datums C and B. Thanks

Planes.JPG

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
9 REPLIES 9

I lied, I guess I know how to do it using the model tree and finding each datum and hiding each one individually. I'm wondering if there is a way to do a mass hide datums?

Hi Christian,

The best way I found is the use of layers, but it would be nice to use the hide plane to hide all.

This is specifically tru with pdm link, if you forget to blank you layer and datum plane before approving you model you can't hide them anymore unless you upissue your model.

Nicolas

When planes have been set as datums for geometric tolerances, they don't switch off with the 'standard' planes.

We create a layer in each part (or assembly) called GTOL_DATUMS, and add each such plane. (It may be possible to use rules to do this automatically.)

If the layers in each part in an assembly have the same name, they all group together in the assembly layer tree and can easily be turned off together.

For the rule use Shown Datum Plane (Axis) to select those that are set datums.

Kevin,

Could you explain further?

We have some automatic layer settings; they are in our config.pro (WF4) as follows:

def_layer LAYER_DATUM_PLANE ALL_PLANES
def_layer LAYER_CURVE CURVES
def_layer LAYER_DATUM_POINT ALL_POINTS
def_layer LAYER_AXIS ALL_AXES

and some more in the same style, so that any plane created is automatically added to ALL_PLANES; any curve goes onto CURVES; points go onto ALL_POINTS and so on.

Can we use this to also automatically put datums onto GTOL_DATUMS? This is what I was suggesting above.

Thanks!

Jonathan,

if the name of your GTOL_DATUMS has one only letter, you could create a layer by rule.

search for datum plane

by datum plane

name=?

If you put this asociative layer into your start parts it will collect them on creation.

GTOL DATUMS will be on the layer ALL_DATUMS too, but that should not be a problem.

gkbeer wrote an excellent article about layers on mcadcentral "mastering layers Q & A"

Once you know the potential of rule driven layers you may ditch your def_layer statements.

Reinhard

Thanks Reinhard! After playing in the Layer Properties dialogue box, I now understand Kevin's post... what I call a "G-tol datum", PTC calls a "Shown datum plane" or "Shown datum axis".

We will probably add GTOL_DATUMS to our start part, with a suitable rule collecting all "Shown datum planes". (In this case it will not need to be associative - according to the status bar help, associative is used when creating the rule in an existing part, to collect existing features.)

The only disadvantage we can see compared to DEF_LAYER is that the layer will always exist even if empty, instead of being created only when needed.

And why the different terminology I'm not sure. From the search perspective they are called Shown Datums. From the part and assembly feature perspective they are called Set Datums. One thing you may notice if you don't set the layer to associative is you will need to regenerate before the feature gets added to the layer.

Jonathan,

GTOL DATUMS are DTMs used for geometric tolerances.

It is good practice to create extra DTMs for geometric tolerances. As you dont always want to see them you can place them on a layer and blank them. If you name them with one letter my search will collect them as name=? means one letter.

This is what you do

- create a layer GTOL

- under the rules tab #edit rules

-- search for datum planes

-- search by datum planes

--- under rules check name

--- is equal

--- value: ?

- OK and back to layer properites

-- Options

--- associative will put every hit on your layer

--- activated will put new hits on layer

Reinhard

PS

search the help files for default_layer_model.

You create a def_layer.prt/asm/drw with a set of rule based layers and declare it in your config.pro. When a feature is created for which there is a rule, a layer will be created an populated with that feature.

Nachricht geändert durch Reinhard Nueckel

Top Tags