cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are working to address an issue with subscription email notifications. In the meantime, be sure to check your favorite boards for new topics.

Trail File Documentation?

Aaronm87
12-Amethyst

Trail File Documentation?

Is there a document that explains all of the trail file functionality in depth? I can only seem to find top level information but looking for something that actually describes the details of functions

5 REPLIES 5

Unfortunately, no such document exists. Most people who have become accomplished at writing/using trail files gathered their knowledge over time through experience, trial and error.

That said, it is not too difficult to figure out.  Trail files generate code similar to those of mapkeys. By executing some commands in Creo then examining your file, it becomes easy to see most of what is occurring. Anything starting with a "!" is a comment and may be eliminated.  Create some mapkeys and examine the output as a starting point. Then move on to trail files by performing some simple commands in Creo and viewing the file to see how those commands are represented.

Personally, when I'm investigating a trail file and trying to isolate some commands I'm hoping to automate, I'll mash the "Refresh" button about 20 times first, then perform the series of commands I'm interested in. Then, starting from the bottom of the active trail file, I scroll back to where I see 20 refreshes. This is my "marker" so I know where the commands of interest begin.

None of that may help - but with some time and patience, trail files are sometimes the ONLY way to automate a series of commands. Even Creo Toolkit can't do everything - but many times a trail file can be a critical tool for automation.

Thanks!

-Brian

... just a little note ... I use Date and time command to put "marker" into trail file.

Martin Hanák

Another technique, I usually just open the file in notepad++ look at the last line number and then perform my action and then notepad++ will refresh with the new lines

Love that technique and I use it all the time!!

olivierlp
Community Manager
(To:Aaronm87)

Hi @Aaronm87 ,
I wanted to see if you got the help you needed.
If so, please mark the appropriate reply as the Accepted Solution. It will help other members who may have the same question.
Of course, if you have more to share on your issue, please pursue the conversation. 

Thanks,

Olivier
Top Tags