cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

LONG time to generate toolpaths.

JasonPensack
1-Newbie

LONG time to generate toolpaths.

Is anyone doing anything advanced to help compute toolpaths faster? I have a hot job and naturally its one of the most complex parts I've done. I am doing a Local Milling routine referencing a previous sequence and it takes a long time to generate the toolpath. (Over an hour) Theres no easy way to break it up into smaller segments either. Although I may have to try. Is anyone doing distributed computing or something that i may not know about? Its also annoying that I have 1 CPU maxed out and 7 others just hanging out doing nothing. (I know CREO does not multi thread yet but its frustrating).

I am running CREO 2 and my workstation is:

Windows 7 64-bit

Intel Core i7 CPU @ 3.80GHz

32 GB DDR3 Ram

Nvidia Quadro 5000

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Hi Jason, local milling is probably the sequence doing most calculation per actual toolpath outcome. After all you need to compute exactly, which material the referenced previous sequence has removed, to figure out the toolpath for the cleanup. Regarding distributed computing: This will allow you to use Remote Toolpath generation in background, while you can continue working on other models (or even on the same model), but it will require a second license. Since it is done by a second session (hence the extra license need), it will use another CPU than your interactive session. It has been a while since I tried it, but as far as I remember, I had to install/setup Creo Distributed Batch (from CD). This enabled me to use the remote server host (in my case the same host) for Remote Toolpath computation (as documented in the PTC/Help under About the Job Manager) Gunter

Gunter,

I was afraid that I would need an additional license. I can see needing an additional license if I was trying to use a different computer for my host, but they should allow you to use your own computer (just a different core) without an additional license. I guess this option is out of the question since buying an addtional seat is not going to fly with the boss.

Thanks for the info!

Top Tags