cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

3D plots won't display

ptc-1911489
1-Newbie

3D plots won't display

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. When I try to create a 3D plot, the result is just a blank square. Even in the help files the 3D plots don't show up, it's just a blank square like when you create a 2D plot and don't enter any values. I tried it on my sisters computer (vista 32bit) and it instantly shows the coordinate system. My guess is that it has to do with my 64 bit system since it won't work on my desktop or laptop computers (both 64) but it will on my sisters (32). Is there anyway around this problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.
32 REPLIES 32
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-1911489)

Several people have reported problems with 3D graphics under Windows 7. Others have no problems, under either 32 bit or 64 bit. I haven't seen anyone post a solution yet though. Sorry. Richard

Right click the graph -> uncheck borders

didn't work
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

What didn't work? Installing M020 or unchecking Border? Which OS are we talking about now, Windows 7 or Vista? Richard

Neither solution worked for windows 7
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

"Kenneth Jacobs" wrote:

Neither solution worked for windows 7

"Nicholas Swiatecki" wrote:

Right click the graph -> uncheck borders

My experience with a FX6800 i7 system with Radion 4850 card, and an HP i3 laptop were the same. Both systems are windows 7, 64x.

Changing the screen resolution from 32 bit true color to 16 bit high color fixed the Mathcad 3d graphics on both machines.

Thanks johnksellers! I had the same problem with Vista 32bit on a Compaq Presario CQ60 laptop. I knew about unchecking the border box, but changing the color resolution from 32 bit to 16bit allowed plots to display all the time. When scrolling a document with a 3D plot, the plot would vanish. I had to either click on the plot or refresh the screen. Now the plot is always displayed.

Another question which may be related. Once I click on a plot, my scroll wheel will not scroll a page. Rather is zooms the plot. I like the zoom feature, but on earlier versions I could click an area off the plot and the scroll wheel would continue to scroll the page. Anyone know of a fix?

Thanks

rbj
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:rbj)

I just discovered a solution. I went back to my document and the page scrolled with the mouse scroll wheel. Apparently you can click off the document and then when you 're-enter' the document the scroll wheel scrolls the page.

John Sellers wrote:

My experience with a FX6800 i7 system with Radion 4850 card, and an HP i3 laptop were the same. Both systems are windows 7, 64x.

Changing the screen resolution from 32 bit true color to 16 bit high color fixed the Mathcad 3d graphics on both machines.

The 256³ colors in images are coded 24 bits, the 8 extra bits are for the *.PNG format.

What about if you set the display to 24 bits and put the graphic accelerator to minimum ?

Just a suggestion

jmG

The 256³ colors in images are coded 24 bits, the 8 extra bits are for the *.PNG format.

What about if you set the display to 24 bits and put the graphic accelerator to minimum ?

Just a suggestion

jmG

Nice thought, but Windows 7 with my particular card doesn't offer any 24 bit modes.

By the way JmG, I sort wish you wouldn't post my e-mail address in the clear. How come it shows up? It is supposed to be hidden.

Update 7/7: My personal options were set to hid my e-mail from everyone, and get I could still see it when I logged off. It is possible that this was an artifact of an update problem between the time before and after I logged off.

However, my e-mail was showing and it had an tiny icon so small I couldn't tell what was beside it suggesting it was somehow system generated. It sounds like a bug to me.

Now, thank goodness, it doesn't show. I wasn't so concerned that anyone in the community would have it, but robots have been know to search out these things and use them in nasty ways.

Cheers, John

Message updated by added to by: John Sellers

Message was edited by: John Sellers 7/7 1:40 PM

John,,,,two things :

1. Have you got the "Multiple Cylinders" sheet in this community ?

2. About your complaint against me:

"By the way JmG, I sort wish you wouldn't post my e-mail address in the clear.

How come it shows up? It is supposed to be hidden."

Your e-mail is hidden to me and everyone.

How it appeared ? Ask the webmaster of this site.

I have no special button , no nothing.

I can remove my message, but I won't .

The webmaster must acknowledge.

No matter how much you/we/they think the web [all/any web] is safe,

all sorts of "viruses" are in permanent transit. Many just appear and

disappear ... some intentional, some non intentional, some harmless

some are total destructors. NO web user can be totally safe, not even

the Pentagon or else. Just remember the MafiaBoy [2003] ... he was

just an ado playing his own game, never put or generated a "virus",

but CNN went down and many US universities ++++.

Finally, it toke two weeks to knock at the door of the family, and

that was just by luck.

Those big blue servers have no relief valve, which relief valve would act

like the first TI calculator "NOP" [no operation]

What you could do [really SHALL DO], make a picture of that , print

it, taking at least 3 witnesses at random from the street, have them

sign and send to PTC.

jmG

John,

You can see your own email but no one else can. I can't see your email address in any of the posts above in this thread.

Mona

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:jeanGiraud)

Your e-mail is hidden to me and everyone.

How it appeared ? Ask the webmaster of this site.

I have no special button , no nothing.

I can remove my message, but I won't .

It was due to a bug, that has now been fixed. How about just editing the post and changing the email address to "John Sellers"?

Giraud and anyone else who is interested...it sounds like it wasn't a virus this time....but there is a great way to get extra protection from such infections. There is something called "Try and Decide" from Arconis True Image Home.

The way it works it this: You start a "try and decide" session after which you can go about your business, even rebooting your PC, install soffware with multiple reboots, and the like. At any time in the future you decide to "discard" or "commit". If you "discard" ALL STATE on selected disk partitions is return to the exact state at the beginning of the "try and decide" session. This is at such a low level you can even back out disk corruption. During the "try and decide" session you can dump valuable files into the trash and empty the trash, you can delete files all over the place, and even crash the machine....but as soon as you discard on reboot, everything perfectly fixed and put back just the way it was. Also it is nice to have if you have trouble installing a program, as you can "commit" at boot time without running the system so that you can try the install several times from a vanilla state.

I've been using "try and decide" on one machine for almost 2 years. I always start try and decide before I go on the Internet and discard after I leave the Internet. As of today I don't even have a single piece of spyware that has made it onto that machine.

The only downer is that you have to confine any state change to a partition you choose not to protect. But better to have a few dozen data files exposed to the internet rather than hundreds of thousands of the rest of the files on your system. Also I used web based e-mail so I don't have to save that state locally.

---John

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-2784652)

By the way JmG, I sort wish you wouldn't post my e-mail address in the clear. How come it shows up? It is supposed to be hidden.

There was a bug in the forums that meant your display name wasn't sticky, and your email address would show instead unless you constantly changed your settings. The bug has been fixed, but presumably Jean just quoted you when your email address was showing rather than your display name. I am sure there was no malicious intent!

I just edited Jean's post and removed John Sellers email. I didn't notice it the first time.

Mona

rbj
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:mzeftel)

These responses are sent to my email account and I have noticed that jeanGiraud's and mzeftel's email accounts are not shown in the 'From' box (just the 'community' email), but Richard Jackson's and John Seller's are. Should they be?

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

RB J wrote:

These responses are sent to my email account and I have noticed that jeanGiraud's and mzeftel's email accounts are not shown in the 'From' box (just the 'community' email), but Richard Jackson's and John Seller's are. Should they be?

In my case, no. I have not set any permission that would allow that. Actually, as far as I can tell there is only one global permission for email address, and I chose not to display it.

This is a privacy issue, and therefore this bug needs to be fixed ASAP.

rbj
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:RichardJ)

LOOKS LIKE THE WEBMASTER HAS SOME WORK TO DO! I just googled my email name and got two hits -- both to this community!! This site's privacy features are in desparate need of repair!!

jeanGiraud
1-Newbie

Thanks Richard, Mona

All fixed. Maybe same bad coincidence happened to collab AI2000

as he found himself "rejected". This web works in a curious way.

Apparently it stays log in as long as the PC is on, but that is not

true. It "log out" at random ... "DNS error, server can not be found".

As soon as "log in", there is a permanent protocol between the PC's

user and some unknown entity in the web [PTC, who else ...]

Who else ? FBI ? RCMP ? INTERPOL ?

Personally I have nothing against spying, but surely against the

"Chart of Human Rights" ... and in court of law it has no value,

"if you can spy, you can freak".

Consequently to this spying protocol, as soon as "log in" and in few

navigation steps it sucks all my memory "Virtual memory low" with no

other application open. From thereon, any application runs slow,

for sure because the virtual memory is not at hand.

jmG

John,

As long as you select the "hide" radio button from within your edit profile, your email address will be hidden from other community members. Mona is correct, it is not hidden from you, just other members. Maybe thats where the confusion lies?

Also to note, don't leave your email address as your Display Name. That will override the 'hide' email address option

-BostonDan

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:DanMarotta)

BostonDan wrote:

As long as you select the "hide" radio button from within your edit profile, your email address will be hidden from other community members. Mona is correct, it is not hidden from you, just other members. Maybe thats where the confusion lies?

My email address is supposed to be hidden, but there is no doubt it is being emailed to people with the responses to threads. The same is true for several other people: I checked a bunch of the emails I received. They do not display the email address, but the email "from" field is:

email_address <->

This is not the case for everyone, but it's the case for quite a few.

rbj
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Here's the fix so that your email won't be seen: You need to go to your profile and choose 'Change Display Name'. You can change your name to the same name it was, but the directory name where your profile is stored will be changed. The directory name was your email address. This will change it to your profile name.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Nope. It used to allow me to do that, but every time I logged off it would just set it back to my email address (you should check this does not happen for you). Now it just gives me an error message:

"This username is already being used. Please secect another username"

I suspect it's because I have a split personality (a problem caused by the import of the Collaboratory and the old PTC forums). There's me:

http://communities.ptc.com/people/richard.jackson%40nirrir.com

and then there's the other me:

http://communities.ptc.com/people/richard.jackson%40nirrir.com--s-Ed

I don't even know how to log in as the other me! I have been promised that this will be fixed, but I have no idea when.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

However, if I choose a display name that couldn't possibly exist, such as "The Bogeyman" it does change the URL for my profile:

http://communities.ptc.com/people/TheBogeyman

It doesn't actually change the name that is diaplayed though (how logical!)

So maybe now all the emails that go out will say "TheBogeyman" rather than my email address

big_grin.gif

rbj
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

My display name may have been all caps, and this time I chose all lower case and that is why it worked for me. I may have also misspoke. The display name and profile name are different entities. Changing the display name changes your profile directory name, but your profile name is where you type in your name for your profile.

I do seeTheBogeyman now with your messages and not your email address. Also, when I right click on your avatar and view properties TheBogeyman appears and not your email address.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

RB J wrote:

I do seeTheBogeyman now with your messages and not your email address. Also, when I right click on your avatar and view properties TheBogeyman appears and not your email address.

Good! Now let's hope they have fixed the bug that previously caused it to reset ervery time I logged out.

Top Tags