cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

BUGS in Prime

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

BUGS in Prime

While working on an answer to a question here in the forum, I noticed two bugs in Prime concerning the symbolics.

I could not be bothered to report them the "official" way (too complicated, I am too old to be forced to jump through that many loops) so I post them here for your information and of course for PTC staff if they really are interested to improve their software (just joking...)

Both bugs are already present in Prime 6 and still are in Prime 10.

Bug #1:

Simplification of an expression using "floor" and the Heaviside function returns a wrong result!

Werner_E_0-1717503691064.png

BTW, the bug is due to the 'new' symbolics. When we switch back and use the legacy symbolics (only available in P6 and below) we get a correct result

Werner_E_0-1717507365200.png

Bug #2

"clear.sym" does not clear a range variable. It should make it undefined for symbolic operations.

"clear" works OK, but it also makes the variable undefined for the numerics.

Werner_E_1-1717503941980.png

Interestingly the operation works as it should when a second variable is added

Werner_E_2-1717504023825.png

Prime 6 worksheet attached (both bugs show up in Prime 10 as well, though).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
olivierlp
Community Manager
(To:Werner_E)

Thank you @Werner_E . The product team is looking into it. 

Olivier

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
olivierlp
Community Manager
(To:Werner_E)

Thank you @Werner_E . The product team is looking into it. 

Olivier

Thanks for caring!

A 'solution' sure would be a bug fixed version or better a hotfix for the current version. But PTC does not seem to fix bugs that fast - at least I never had seen any bug fix other than in the next planned software version.

Since I don't think it would be a good idea to wait that long to close the thread, I think it's OK to mark Olivier's answer as the solution to close this thread. At least his activity may finally lead to a solution 😉

Haha, probably they are happy now that you marked one answer as solution. 

They for sure need to think more seriously to improve they software more fast and to be more capable, and also to make more updates less than from year to year. But I think this will not happen, as they are probably not interested in such things.

But as I see they are not even interested to jump in this actively and wonderful community to give feedback, answers, workarounds of problems within their software that people find. Yeah, we can see from time to time one marketing guy from ptc here, but he cannot give relevant answers as he already said this in order that people problems to be solved (he can give only promisese), and also some 2,3 admins - i am not sure if these guys are really humans or maybe more robots and If they are working for ptc, but anyway I see that their job is to bother people to mark any answer as solution for topics regardless If indeed the relevant solution was found for that topic (maybe if they had also contributed to finding solutions for people problems, and then yes they could have said to mark answer as a solution, but I dont belive that they even read the topics description and also they seems not being able to analyze whether a real solution has really been found for the respective topic). But the lack of interest, not being actively present in finding the workarounds and solutions of their software problems, not being close to people, community, not making enough improvements of their software, updates at long distances in time, and so on are indeed drawbacks of this Mathcad software.

DJNewman
17-Peridot
(To:Cornel)

@Cornel wrote:

Yeah, we can see from time to time one marketing guy from ptc here, but he cannot give relevant answers as he already said this in order that people problems to be solved (he can give only promisese),

sorry bout that

Though I do wanna say that nothing I say should be seen as a promise! (Just things that are likely to happen.)

I manage the Creo and PTC Mathcad YouTube channels for PTC, as well as all PTC Mathcad marketing in general.
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:Cornel)

I don't think that it really matters if this thread is closed or not. Closing the thread makes nobody happy, I guess. It just feels right for me to do it.

According PTC employees attending the forum it must be said that this is basically a user-driven forum. PTC provides the platform and is resposible to keep it running but its not their job to answer question - nonetheless the 'marketing guy' actually did answer some questions competently concerning the usage of Prime and others 😉

Pushing people to close their threads seems to be necessary in many forums I attend - people seem to get sloppier, grabbing the answer and run away without any further comment.
But its a bit annoying that the reminders to close a thread are done as answers in the thread itself which then bubbles up the list as containing an unread message. I guess it would be a better approach to try to contact the users via PM and send them the link to the thread they should close. User who have forgotten about their thread or aren't interested anymore in the topic are not likely to be triggered by an answer in that thread but maybe by a PM. User who left the forum after having got an answer to their question can't be reach either way.

And to be fair it must be said that PTC employees scanning the forum and reacting like Olivier did (as far as I understand it, he forwarded the information about the bug to the development team) is far more than we were used to in the past here.

Of course, I would like to see a separate section here or on the homepage where you can report bugs in the software in a low-threshold manner and without having to register (and without having to be a paying customer) and which is also dealt with seriously by PTC in a timely manner (I always considered the ideas section a placebo). That would be a sign that PTC is making a serious effort to improve their software. The current situation, where only paying customers are allowed to post ideas or laboriously report a bug to PTC support, does not speak in favor of this.
Of course, a separate area for software bugs would not be a good advertisement if there was a lot of traffic there and sure a lot of 'garbage' would end up there, i.e. apparent bugs due to user incompetence, questions about handling the program that don't belong there, etc. It would undoubtedly be tedious to sort this out, but the effort would have to be made.

And yes, I agree that some serious bugs (and I consider a math software returning a wrong result to be serious) would justify a timely hotfix for the current version but I also guess that this will not happen.

And at last - whining and crying about the software having so many disadvantages will hardly persuade PTC to make improvements.
Not buying the software, not renewing the licenses anymore might be a better option 😉

Top Tags