cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Convert from PDF to Mathcad file

Vich
2-Guest

Convert from PDF to Mathcad file

Dear all,

Hope everyone is doing well. I am using Mathcad Prime 8 and I am trying to find a way to convert a pdf (originally a mathcad file) into a mathcad file (e.g. mcdx). There are formula equations in that file and so far when I try adding the file into Mathcad, the formulas are not recognized. Is there any way to do this?

Best regards,

Vich

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Vich)

There's on way to convert from PDF to Mathcad that I know of:

- Read the PDF file carefully. That's human reading...

- Enter the expressions that you read onto a Mathcad worksheet.

- Check to see that you get the same results, if any, that the PDF shows.

- Correct where necessary.

- Done.

Success
Luc

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

There's on way to convert from PDF to Mathcad that I know of:

- Read the PDF file carefully. That's human reading...

- Enter the expressions that you read onto a Mathcad worksheet.

- Check to see that you get the same results, if any, that the PDF shows.

- Correct where necessary.

- Done.

Success
Luc

Thanks for the info and sarcasm to make my day. You're such an incredible human being.

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I

Thanks for the info and sarcasm to make my day. You're such an incredible human being.

I'd say welcome the Mathcad, but this response is uncalled for!

I know that it is supposed to be possible to convert a pdf file into a Word or text file.  (I suspect that there are problems with that process too.)  But Mathcad (especially Prime) seems to go out of it's way to make file conversions challenging.  For example, it is not possible to save a version 8 file as a version 7.  You would, if you had been following, see that LucMeekes has posted a method to change a version 8 to a version 7; clearly more sarcastic humor.

Your designation is "newbie."  Stick around.  Watch the posts, questions, and responses.  And don't be so quick to take offense. 

Good luck with your typing!

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

This is a community of other users of the various PTC products. Some have more experience in certain areas than others. In the MathCAD community, Luc has provided many correct answers in helping a lot of users over the years.

Getting any software to 'read' a PDF (dumb text image) is a challenge. I have tried with simple documents into Word and the results are far from useful without a lot of work. When it comes to MathCAD and formulas, it can be especially hard. Luc's method of retyping the formulas is probably the fastest and most accurate method available.

ppal
17-Peridot

Sorry you took offence. LucMeeks is very helpful on this forum. He even wrote an entire Mathcad file for me to help me out.

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad/How-to-Read-a-Binary-COMTRADE-Data-File/m-p/182897?search-action-id=88613920138&search-result-uid=182897

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

@Vich wrote:

Dear all,

Hope everyone is doing well. I am using Mathcad Prime 8 and I am trying to find a way to convert a pdf (originally a mathcad file) into a mathcad file (e.g. mcdx). There are formula equations in that file and so far when I try adding the file into Mathcad, the formulas are not recognized. Is there any way to do this?

Best regards,

Vich

As Luc already wrote the only way seems to be to RETYPE the equations.

Its not clear what you actually did when you write "I try adding the file into Mathcad". In case you simply tried some sort of copy and paste - it can't work.

In case you actually retyped the formulas yourself and it did not work, we would have to see the pdf and your Prime file to have a look and try to find out what went wrong.

Top Tags