cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

MathCad Printing/Units

BB_10629912
4-Participant

MathCad Printing/Units

All,

I am using a building code prescribed equation with a constant that does not have units assigned in the code.  As a result MathCad gives a Unit error.  Now I could backsolve to find the units but that seems cumbersome.  Can I simply force MathCad to solve the equation and remove the red rectangle from the output/print?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:BB_10629912)

This seems to be an empirical expression (as opposed to one that is derived from physics basics). The factor 0.43 in your expression (probably) works only if you enter the other variables with the units prescribed by the building code. It's better to divide each of the variables by the units prescribed and add the output unit (ft ?) to the result.

Success!

Luc

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:BB_10629912)

This seems to be an empirical expression (as opposed to one that is derived from physics basics). The factor 0.43 in your expression (probably) works only if you enter the other variables with the units prescribed by the building code. It's better to divide each of the variables by the units prescribed and add the output unit (ft ?) to the result.

Success!

Luc

If you want Prime to just use the numbers and ignore the units you have to provide unit-less quantities. As Luc already wrote you do this by dividing the variables by the correct unit. Which unit the "correct" one is should be part of the documentation which accompanies the empirical formula.
Here is an example, using the units you used when defining your variables:

Werner_E_0-1705539433664.png

As an alternative you may apply a unit to the constant 0.43, but I don't think that this should be done as its just an empirical formula which really can't be made unit-aware by this way

Werner_E_1-1705539538550.png

Actually the "unit" provided for 0.43 does the very same which the much clearer method shown first did - it divides the units and adds ft to the result.

BB_10629912
4-Participant
(To:Werner_E)

Thank you!

Thank you!!!

Top Tags