cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Mathcad 15 index summation

JB_10220769
7-Bedrock

Mathcad 15 index summation

Is it possible to to index the summation for odd numbers in 15?

4 REPLIES 4
Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:JB_10220769)

Maybe that way:

Werner_E_0-1656540197752.png

Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:Werner_E)

Or you may redefine your function f(..) to return zero for even values of n:

Werner_E_1-1656540384435.png

or, as a variation, you may put the branch into the sum instead of the function f:

Werner_E_2-1656540502233.png

And as my last solution for now you may do without the summation operator and program the summation yourself:

Werner_E_0-1656540892061.png

The last will not work for a=1 unless you add some kind of branch (if).

I tried to follow the same method in my original programming but the solution does not converge while matlab can

Can you share your views 

Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:JB_10220769)

You may want to look at the functions An and k_n.

The constant factor in C_b is a quite low pure imaginary number and for most odd values of n the summand is a very small imaginary number , too. But for some odd values of n the summands seem to "explode".

This may also be due to numerical inaccuracies - compare the result of the numeric to the symbolic evaluation shown in the picture for b=21. But both values are quite large so you may want to recheck your function definitions.

Werner_E_0-1657034332440.png

There is also a significant difference when I evaluate C_b (for m=41) when evaluated symbolically:

Werner_E_1-1657034355798.png

I just noticed that when you define the function An you already have k_n(n,h) in the denominator. When you define C_b you have the same function again in the denominator of the summands. Guess this was not done on purpose?

BTW, you should omit the first argument n in your function definition of C_b as n is the summation index anyway.

Announcements

Top Tags