cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Prime 2 on Windows 10 ??

bsimpkins
6-Contributor

Prime 2 on Windows 10 ??

recently upgraded from Win7 to Win10.  Prime 2 installed and activated fine.  after opening a new sheet.  i get an error for any function i create.

even in the expression "x:=5" gives the error "this variable is undefined..."

see attached.

maybe a setting somewhere??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bsimpkins
6-Contributor
(To:bsimpkins)

partially solved...

my current license actually entitled me to Prime 3.0.  installed 3.0 and it mostly works on Win10.  on some of the my prime2.0 sheets, the greek letters aren't recognized.  they look fine but are red-boxed.  i have to delete then retype them and it's fine.

i have a temp license for prime4.0 so i'm evaluated that.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

When I open your file I see the errors you experience (because the last state is saved within the file), but when I recalculate the file all ist OK as it should be. So the file created is OK - the problem seems to be the interpretation of the file on your system.

I have no idea what could be going on and if the combination of Prime 2.0 and Win 10 is the cause or not - PTC support should be able to do (I said "should", not "will").

Any reason you want use Prime and not Mathcad 15? Having bought Prime entitles you to install Mathcad 15 using the same license file and MC15 is much more powerful, reliable, faster and easier to handle than Prime.

bsimpkins
6-Contributor
(To:Werner_E)

would prefer to use MC 15 but my office requires Prime.

Then you should get your office to upgrade.

3.0 was the first useable version

3.1 was a marketing ploy

4.0 is now available.

If they want Prime, they should have 4.0 for you; it's still not as useful as version 15, but many of the bugs have been ironed out (and a few new ones ironed in!.) 

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Fred_Kohlhepp)

"If they want Prime, they should have 4.0 for you; it's still not as useful as version 15"

Do you have a preview of what's to come in Prime version 15 already?

Recalculate your worksheet.

Vladimir, I guess you are the right one to ask:

WIth Mathcad 14 & 15 every release was accompanied by a detailed list of bugs which where fixed in this or that maintenance release so in a case like this we could look up that list to see if any bug fixed in newer versions would fit to the problem Blake is experiencing.

Is there any such list for Prime releases?  Don't mean the list where some new features are self praised - I am talking about true bug fixes.

bsimpkins
6-Contributor

thanks for the suggestion but recalculating doesn't help.  in fact, i can create a new sheet and simply type "x:=5" and the 5 gets red-circled with the variable undefined error.  since the sheet worked for you all, it must be something specific to my system (mathcad setting, windows 10 setting, etc???)

any ideas?  software dependencies?

When I open your sheet (in 3.0) I can see that the 5 in x := 5 is circled in red.

If I delete that 5 and retype it, things work:

Whatever your problem is it propagated to Windows 7 and Prime 3, except that 3 was able to recalculate.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Fred_Kohlhepp)

In Prime4 I don't need to delete the 5, just recalculate (press F9) cleans the sheet and all is well.

Luc

LucMeekes wrote:

In Prime4 I don't need to delete the 5, just recalculate (press F9) cleans the sheet and all is well.

Luc

The same is true for Prime 3 and possible also for Prime2.

We just are not used to the behavior that when we open a sheet we see the last state before the sheet was saved and not what "our" program just calculated.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Did you upgrade from Win7 to 10 on the same machine, or did you get a new machine?

If yes (your win10 runs on a different machine), is it 32 or 64 bit? And what was bitness of your old Win7.... And related to that:  which Prime did you install: newly downloaded for you machine's bitness, or did you use the old install source.

I'm asking because a conceivable ('everything is possible') error would be that 32 bit Prime on a 64 bit OS exhibits this fault.

bsimpkins
6-Contributor
(To:LucMeekes)

since everyone is able to open and recalculate the sheet, i'm sure the sheet is fine (it is only "x:=5" which i would hope would not have an error!)

regarding the installations, i moved to a new machine.  both were 64bit machines with 64bit OS's (win7 and win10).

original Win7 machine was 64bit machine with 64bit version of Prime 2.  at least i think it was the 64bit version since it's installed in "Program Files" directory rather than the "Program Files (x86) directory.

the new win10 machine is 64bit OS also with Prime installed in the "Program Files" directory.  so i think they are both 64bit installations.

bsimpkins
6-Contributor

partially solved...

my current license actually entitled me to Prime 3.0.  installed 3.0 and it mostly works on Win10.  on some of the my prime2.0 sheets, the greek letters aren't recognized.  they look fine but are red-boxed.  i have to delete then retype them and it's fine.

i have a temp license for prime4.0 so i'm evaluated that.

Top Tags