cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Subcripts in Mathcad prime

OM_10154742
6-Contributor

Subcripts in Mathcad prime

Is it possible to use colan (:) symbol in literal subscripts for defining variable in Mathcad Prime directly ?

OM_10154742_0-1651759535647.png

5 REPLIES 5

@OM_10154742 wrote:

Is it possible to use colan (:) symbol in literal subscripts for defining variable in Mathcad Prime directly ?

OM_10154742_0-1651759535647.png

Not directly, as far as I'm aware.  I've tried a few workarounds, such as using a Unicode subscript colon, but there isn't a subscript colon.   However, one possible workaround uses a variant of the colon character.

2022 05 05 e.png

The text string is: (@ID g (@SUB l꞉k))

Modify it as needed.

Stuart

You can use the usual colon character if you put the subscript text into double quotes

Werner_E_0-1651762963990.png

A somewhat startling observation: If only part of the subscript text is set in double quotes, the order is changed

Werner_E_1-1651763074352.png

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:Werner_E)

Interesting. It further seems to strip spaces outside of quotes and possibly use the space as some form of grouping break.

2022 05 05 g.png

Stuart

JeffH1
14-Alexandrite
(To:StuartBruff)

This is clever.  I knew about inserting special characters and I know about the underlying equation notation, but I never thought of putting the two together.  Here are some use cases that I've been wanting to apply for some time now.  I'm sure there are infinitely more.

JeffH1_0-1651936259626.png

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:JeffH1)

Neat.   It's also possible to automate the production of suitable strings by concatenating appropriate substrings.

2022 05 07 a.png

Alas and alack, my long-standing request to directly create variable/function names has not been implemented, so the last part, the tiresome manual copy/paste,  is still an unwanted drudge ... although, I suppose one could Autokey, or similar, the process.

The functions unichar and unistring are simple functions that convert a decimal/hex number into a Unicode character or string, respectively.  I'd post the worksheet, but it's rather a dreadful mess and I'd be ashamed to visit it upon the web. 

Stuart

Top Tags