cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Using symbolic solve and redfine variable

RH_9815461
3-Visitor

Using symbolic solve and redfine variable

Hi I'm looking to solve an equation using the symbolic solve function and then reassign the value to a variable.

However, Mathcad doesn't seem to like the equation.I'm assuming im using the wrong solver?

RH_9815461_0-1649524924015.png

Ive managed to do it in excel and now have a value of a at 572mm using the GRG solver.

Can anybody point me in the right direction in how to do this in mathcad ?

Thanks in advance

Ross

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@RH_9815461 wrote:

Hi I'm looking to solve an equation using the symbolic solve function and then reassign the value to a variable.

However, Mathcad doesn't seem to like the equation.I'm assuming im using the wrong solver?

Ive managed to do it in excel and now have a value of a at 572mm using the GRG solver.

Thanks in advance

Ross

Hi Ross,

Could you please post your worksheet? It's always easier to diagnose a problem when the worksheet is available - some errors aren't obvious from just a screenshot and a  lot of useful context is missing.

An example is that your cubic equation uses the variable w, but you don't define it.  However, putting aside the symbolic processor, you could try using a solve block or even the root function.  I've used root, with your Excel-derived value for a, to estimate w and then done the reverse to verify that it gives the correct value of a.

2022 04 09 a.png

Stuart

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@RH_9815461 wrote:

Thanks in advance

Ross

Hi Ross,

Could you please post your worksheet? It's always easier to diagnose a problem when the worksheet is available - some errors aren't obvious from just a screenshot and a  lot of useful context is missing.

An example is that your cubic equation uses the variable w, but you don't define it.  However, putting aside the symbolic processor, you could try using a solve block or even the root function.  I've used root, with your Excel-derived value for a, to estimate w and then done the reverse to verify that it gives the correct value of a.

2022 04 09 a.png

Stuart

Hi Stuart , 

Thanks for the help.

Please see attached worksheet.Although what you have posted seems to be what im after.

So why don't you give Stuarts suggestion a try?

BTW, don't use "sqrt" in Prime but instead use the root symbol - either from the menu or by typing a backslash.

B.png

Top Tags