cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

simplification causing out of memory error

JBird
4-Participant

simplification causing out of memory error

Greetings all

I would like to simplify the expression in the attached worksheet (and image), however I am faced with the "out of memory" error, which occurs after about 30minutes of processing. I have 16GB ram, i7-4790 CPU at 3.6Ghz, 64 bit Windows 10, MathCAD version 15.

Please note that all letters are variables, and I intend for none of them to hold any particular value. To avoid confusing MathCAD I have tried replacing e,i, and j by different letters, but to no avail.

I predict that the result will be in numerator/denominator form, with numerator having a sum of  x^2*y^2, x^2, y^2, xy, and the denomiator having neither x nor y.

Please would someone comment on the use of "simplify,max" and if it has any relevance to me.

Thank you kindly.

4 REPLIES 4
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:JBird)

I noticed that ther is one big expression occurs twice in your term and so I thought that we could have more success with some kind of substitutiuon. I guess without luck (didn't wait for the last expression to finish simplfying).

I think the painful truth is that Mathcads symbolics simply isn't good enough.

Furthermore I won't expect a short result expression - it rather would be quite large, I guess.

Pic1.png

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Hi,

a possible simplification could be the following:

jbird.jpg

JBird
4-Participant
(To:-MFra-)

Thank you both for your input.

Essentially I need to equate the co-efficients of x.x y.y and x.y to another equation, so F.M's simplification may hold high value.

Thanks once again
mvenich
12-Amethyst

For something like this, you might want to think about using Maple. Mathcad's symbolics aren't strong enough.

maple.png

Top Tags