cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

solving formula for E-field distribution

THAE
5-Regular Member

solving formula for E-field distribution

I am trying to solve an equation like:

THAE_0-1633614758842.png

this one can't be solved analytically and a priori the solve block does not work correctly (in the way I use it.

see attached file

Any idea how to solve this equation

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
THAE
5-Regular Member
(To:Fred_Kohlhepp)

Thank you,

I have followed your advise and evaluate first the integral and than insert it in the equation for the E-field.

I do not understand why, but this cuts the calculation time significantly and allows the use of a programmed loop.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I
(To:THAE)

I think that you can iterate and approximate a better solution.  Attached is your file (very nice, BTW) with my scribbles on the end.  I have only Express, so a solve block won't work for me, but the root function is a nice   alternative.  Now, the problem with this solution is that it forces a constant value for E, so the integral isn't right.  So the first iteration is to replace that constant value in the integral with the solution value.  This yields a significantly different curve shape.  I did one more iteration (you can continue to iterate, plugging in each successive solution to get the next.  Whether or not this produces a better answer or not is beyond my scope.

File in Prime 7.0 attached.  Good luck!

THAE
5-Regular Member

Thank you,

I tried your proposals in a programmed loop of iterations.

Up to 4 iterations the computing time is acceptable.

For 5 iterations it is getting awful long.

I'll try to build a solver for a Fredholm integral equation of the second kind as described here:

https://mathworld.wolfram.com/FredholmIntegralEquationoftheSecondKind.html

Thanks

Thomas

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I

THAE wrote:

Up to 4 iterations the computing time is acceptable.

For 5 iterations it is getting awful long.

I only have Express, so I can't write a program.  The attached file extends the idea a few more steps (manually).  I noticed that calculation time was extending too.  Two suggestions:

1. The denominator (the integral over r) is going to be a constant for any E(r).  You can cut the evaluation time in half if you calculate it once rather than each time.
  2. Every OTHER iteration gets closer, the in-between iteration switches shapes.  Might be able to shorten calculation time that way too.
THAE
5-Regular Member

Thank you,

I have followed your advise and evaluate first the integral and than insert it in the equation for the E-field.

I do not understand why, but this cuts the calculation time significantly and allows the use of a programmed loop.

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I

THAE wrote

"I do not understand why, but this cuts the calculation time significantly"

The denominator in your basic equation:

Fred_Kohlhepp_0-1633872414896.png

will evaluate to the same value for any E(r) since it is the integral over a fixed range.  So you can evaluate it once rather than for every value of r in the integration.  This eliminates the computation time for all those integrals from the total time.

THAE
5-Regular Member

ok, got it, thanks

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Apparently you need a mightier Mathcad to solve this:

LucMeekes_1-1633641347046.png

The numeric solution of your solve block is close.

The solution is pretty obvious. With E and gamma not dependent on r, you can take the exp(-gamma*E) out of the integral, and cross it off against the same in the numerator. The primitive of r^(k-1) is r^k/k.

Now to eq(1), If you take the derivative of both sides to r, you get a differential equation which may be solvable.

Here's one try:

LucMeekes_1-1633629431013.png

Solve it to get:

LucMeekes_4-1633629519539.png

Prove this solves the differential equation:

LucMeekes_0-1633640081510.png

OK. The next challenge is to determine the integration constant c1.

Success!
Luc

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Since, in the equation, the unknown function appears as an argument of the integral, then the equation is an integral equation. You have to see what kind of integral equation it is (for example Fredholm, Volterra, Wiener-Hopf, ...). For a numerical solution you simply have to discretize the integral which becomes a matrix. An eigenvalue equation should come out. Anyway, search the internet for integral equations.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

You might be interested in this elaboration of mine relating to DC power lines, made some time ago, although it does not solve your problem but broadens your knowledge: https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad/About-DC-Lines-xmcd/m-p/449649?search-action-id=71039740660&search-result-uid=449649.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

An elementary example of a numerical solution of a homogeneous Fredholm equation. The discretized integral equation is transformed into an eigenvalue equation. The eigenvectors corresponding to each eigenvalue are the discretized orthonormalized solutions of the given integral equation.

Elementary Fredholm.jpg

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Answer to THAE.jpg

THAE
5-Regular Member
(To:-MFra-)

Thank you,

I will try that one and compare to the solution, using iterations, proposed by Fred

Top Tags