cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Creo 8 Parametric Command Prompt

SR_7844589
2-Guest

Creo 8 Parametric Command Prompt

HI

We have found that we can not run Creo 8 parametric anymore unless we run it with admin rights or if we unblock command prompt neither of which are an option within a school environment. The application just doesn't load after clicking the shortcut/icon.  Has anyone else had this issue and found a resolution.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@SR_7844589 wrote:

HI

We have found that we can not run Creo 8 parametric anymore unless we run it with admin rights or if we unblock command prompt neither of which are an option within a school environment. The application just doesn't load after clicking the shortcut/icon.  Has anyone else had this issue and found a resolution.

Thanks

Hi,

please explain the term unblock command prompt. Attach screenshot showing current situation.

Note: If you can start Creo as Administrator then your problem is probably related to access rights to file system.

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

@SR_7844589 wrote:

HI

Thanks

Hi,

please explain the term unblock command prompt. Attach screenshot showing current situation.

Note: If you can start Creo as Administrator then your problem is probably related to access rights to file system.

Martin Hanák

We have given all the files full permissions and the application will not load. If we unblock command prompt by allowing administrator tools to users creo runs even without any permission changes.

@SR_7844589 wrote:
We have given all the files full permissions and the application will not load. If we unblock command prompt by allowing administrator tools to users creo runs even without any permission changes.

Hi,

please provide detailed information:

• which files you have changed access rights to
  • how do you run creo (publish shortcut properties)
  • please explain the term unblock command prompt

Martin Hanák

HI

We have given all whole PTC folder within Program Files full permissions we have also given the public profile full permissions.

Shortcut properties are as follows.

Target = C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 8.0.0.0\Parametric\bin\parametric.exe"

Start in C;\Users\Public\Documents we have also changed this to the users own storage but this makes no difference.

By unblock we mean allow the running of the command prompt application (cmd.exe) and the user run commands.

@SR_7844589 wrote:

HI

We have given all whole PTC folder within Program Files full permissions we have also given the public profile full permissions.

Shortcut properties are as follows.

Target = C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 8.0.0.0\Parametric\bin\parametric.exe"

Start in C;\Users\Public\Documents we have also changed this to the users own storage but this makes no difference.

By unblock we mean allow the running of the command prompt application (cmd.exe) and the user run commands.

Hi,

1.] permissions to PTC folder ... OK

2.] shortcut properties ... OK

3.] command prompt blocking

Does this mean that users are not able (by default) to open Command prompt window ?

How did you disable this functionality ?

If you provide steps how to do it, I will try to reproduce your problem on my computer.

Martin Hanák

3 - yep correct. We have blocked it via a group policy by adding cmd.exe to a blocked application list and via InTune Applocker

@SR_7844589 wrote:

3 - yep correct. We have blocked it via a group policy by adding cmd.exe to a blocked application list and via InTune Applocker

Hi,

when I start Creo 8.0.4.0, two cmd.exe processes are started automatically. See following pictures of Process Explorer window. That's why you can't block cmd.exe (I would say).

cmd1.png

cmd2.png

creo.png

Martin Hanák

Ok, thank you for confirming unfortunately that makes the software unusable for us as we can not allow students to run administrative tools such as command prompt. I imagine this is the case for most schools.

@SR_7844589 wrote:

Ok, thank you for confirming unfortunately that makes the software unusable for us as we can not allow students to run administrative tools such as command prompt. I imagine this is the case for most schools.

Stephen

Mr S P Roberts

IT Operations Manager - Neale Wade Academy

ICT Strategic Lead – Active Learning Trust

Hi,

I am surprised that you consider Command prompt to be a malicious administrative tool.

Perhaps you should discuss the issue directly with PTC.

Martin Hanák

As it would allow users to run commands that can adversely affect others I'm sure most would say that in untrained hands and with minors that it is a malicious tool. It is pretty common practice to not allow not IT professionals to run it in a Network environment.

I asked PTC first and they directed me here.

Top Tags