cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

running setup.exe does nothing - Creo 8.0

DD_10300911
3-Visitor

running setup.exe does nothing - Creo 8.0

When I try to run setup.exe to install the student edition of Creo 8.0 it asks me if it can make changes to my computer but then does nothing when I say yes. An application error did appear in Event Viewer, I pasted it below.

Windows 11

PTC Creo Parametric 8.0.3.0

Faulting application name: setup.exe_Creo, version: 36.0.2021.403, time stamp: 0x61a0bcb2
Faulting module name: baselibmt.dll, version: 36.0.2021.403, time stamp: 0x61a08565
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000183da
Faulting process id: 0x4b80
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8602033affa6b

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The reason for this error is down to Hypervision on Windows (10 and 11 mostly), for some reason breaks this baselibmt.dll 

The fix is simple:

1. Type command in your Start Menu search bar and right-click select Run as Administrator. Then input the following command: bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
  2. Restart your system. Hyper-V virtualization will not start after the reboot.
  3.  Now you can run the creo setup.exe as it will work as expected.
  4. If you want to turn Hyper-V virtualization on again, use the following command: bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype on
  5. Restart your system again.

This has been a problem for a long time, I believe it had been mentioned to turn it off somewhere online but didn't give the proper details of how it should be done.

Enjoy!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Are you running the installer - as "Administrator"?

Yes, I've tried to run as administrator and not. With both firewall on/off. Anti virus on/off.

hornhaut
6-Contributor
(To:DD_10300911)

I have the same application error in the event viewer

Faulting application name: setup.exe_Creo, version: 36.0.2021.403, time stamp: 0x61a0bcb2
Faulting module name: baselibmt.dll, version: 36.0.2021.403, time stamp: 0x61a08565
Faulting process ID: 0x3a08
Faulting application start time: 0x01d865ed0de85c9e

Tried it with and without firewall and defender, as administrator, and with current versions of Creo 8 as well as Creo 7 on Win 11. Also reassigned access to the whole folder and its subitems to the user group "Everyone" since 0xc0000005-Exceptions seem to be related to access issues. Before that, the folder was assigned to me, which also did not work. I moved it to C:/ making sure that there is no space in the path. I also tried the compatibility mode (Win 8 and Win 7) without success.

Would be great to find work out a solution. I am happy to provide more information if needed 🙂

Hi,

Q1: Does your computer contain Intel processor ?

Q2: What Windows 11 build is installed ?

Martin Hanák
hornhaut
6-Contributor
(To:MartinHanak)

Hi Martin,

Yes, it has an Intel i9 processor (10885H) and the Windows version is 21H2, build number 22000.675 (as far as I understand that's the latest version).

Best

Sebastian

@hornhaut wrote:

Hi Martin,

Yes, it has an Intel i9 processor (10885H) and the Windows version is 21H2, build number 22000.675 (as far as I understand that's the latest version).

Best

Sebastian

It's OK.

Try something like this

Untitled.png

Also you can install MSVCP packages before starting installation

MartinHanak_0-1652361127714.png

Martin Hanák
hornhaut
6-Contributor

Hi,

Still produces the same error, both in CMD and Powershell, again both started as administrator 😕

Faulting process ID: 0xbc4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8660347168829
Faulting application path: C:\tmp\Creo_8030Win64\setup.exe
Faulting module path: C:\tmp\Creo_8030Win64\pim\x86e_win64\baselibmt.dll

Also, all these MSVCP packages were already installed, I guess due to having several Unity and Visual Studio versions on the machine. I also checked the other executables in this folder, all of them are already installed.

Sebastian

Hi,

unfortunately I do not have any other idea.

Martin Hanák
hornhaut
6-Contributor

Hi Martin,

thank you for your suggestions, anyway. Much apprechiated!

Sebastian

Hi there! I was actually able to get it working, so if you haven't yet maybe try this. I got Creo 8.0

1) Delete all files that you downloaded, there were a couple in my documents folder that the installer created so delete those too.

2) restart your computer

3) re-install the .zip 

4) turn off the firewall

5) unzip

6) right-click setup.exe and run as administrator

after doing that the installer actually ran and I was able to follow the prompts.

A couple of notes: The first time I ran it, it didn't do anything after I logged in to get the credentials. I just closed it and re-ran as admin and it worked the second time. Also, once it was downloaded, I needed to right-click the actual program from the desktop and run it as admin to give it extra perms.

Hopefully that helps and you get it working. Best of luck!

The reason for this error is down to Hypervision on Windows (10 and 11 mostly), for some reason breaks this baselibmt.dll 

The fix is simple:

1. Type command in your Start Menu search bar and right-click select Run as Administrator. Then input the following command: bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
  2. Restart your system. Hyper-V virtualization will not start after the reboot.
  3.  Now you can run the creo setup.exe as it will work as expected.
  4. If you want to turn Hyper-V virtualization on again, use the following command: bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype on
  5. Restart your system again.

This has been a problem for a long time, I believe it had been mentioned to turn it off somewhere online but didn't give the proper details of how it should be done.

Enjoy!

hornhaut
6-Contributor
(To:MA_2627485)

Thank you! That solved it for me!

Hi,

how to get current value of hypervisorlaunchtype ?

Can I use bcdedit /enum command ?

Martin Hanák

I suggest using Google,  I have given the answer and the solution which works.

https://superuser.com/questions/1026651/how-to-find-out-whether-hyper-v-is-currently-enabled-running#:~:text=Click%20Start%2C%20click%20Administrative%20Tools,no%20further%20action%20is%20needed.

This is quite a generic question relating to the windows sub-system, not really a question relating to Creo issues.

Presume it's running if you got a problem, and presume it's not if you have no issues with the setup.exe

Hi,

thank you very much for sending the link.

Martin Hanák
hornhaut
6-Contributor
(To:MA_2627485)

One more remark, not sure if that's my system or applies in general:

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype on does not work for me, so I used bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto (according to google it has the intended effect)

Sebastian

Top Tags