cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

unfold a sheetmetal pipe

ptc-5190084
1-Newbie

unfold a sheetmetal pipe

Hello, I use afx to create tubes for a frame. Specifically I use sheetmetal pipes to have the outside diameter and thickness I want.

After I trim the tubes that intersect with each other (via profile cut out) I would like to unfold the tube to make a dxf of the 2d sketch.

However when I open the tube "example_sm_pipe_10_fl.prt" the flat pattern fails to regenerate. What can I do to have the tube unfolded with its cut out?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi, Once you have the profiled tube carry out the following.

1. Sketch a line on the outside of the tube along its length.
  2. In the Sheet metal ribbon, Engineering group, drop down the Rip list and select Sketched rip.
  3. Select the sketch from step 1 and OK to complete the rip.
  4. In the Sheet metal ribbon, Bends group, select Flat Pattern then OK to complete.

A simple tube flattened in this way is attached.

I assume you know how to create the DXF. (create drawing with flat view > save as a dxf)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi, Once you have the profiled tube carry out the following.

1. Sketch a line on the outside of the tube along its length.
  2. In the Sheet metal ribbon, Engineering group, drop down the Rip list and select Sketched rip.
  3. Select the sketch from step 1 and OK to complete the rip.
  4. In the Sheet metal ribbon, Bends group, select Flat Pattern then OK to complete.

A simple tube flattened in this way is attached.

I assume you know how to create the DXF. (create drawing with flat view > save as a dxf)

thanks that was really helpful!

Top Tags