cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Am I on a thin ice with my use of skeleton models?

bp
6-Contributor
6-Contributor

Am I on a thin ice with my use of skeleton models?

Although we have about 30 Creo licenses in my company, I am basically the only daring to use skeleton models. There are no guidelines or support for this.

So I would the input of people who succesfully use skeleton models in their company..

I've started with a main assembly. Then I created sub-assemblies, each with their own skeleton model.

Then I created parts in each sub-assembly and copied the closest skeleton in each part as a merge.

(I dont use publish geometry, because I dont see the advantages. Im the only one working on the assembly and the skeletons are not that complicated, its simpler to just use merge..)

Now the trouble starts.. Theres one sheetmetal part which needs references from two different skeletons:

- Once a part is sheetmetal, I cant use "merge skeleton" anymore, only "external inheritance" (which is the same but with model tree). Why is that?

- Second, I can only mate a second skeleton in my part after I add the parameter "default_ext_ref_scope --> all" in my config.pro. Why is that?

- Third, am I'm going to get in trouble with my colleagues once the product is moved to the production department? With other words, is the part going to be very tricky for other people to work with the way I set-up my assembly? Is there a safer way?

I would like to hear your thoughts!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
huggre
1-Newbie
(To:bp)

Hi

It sounds to me like you dont really have a clear view on why and for what purpose you want to use skelletons.

I strongly suggest that you clearify this before you introduce this concept to the rest of the team.

It does not make sense to use skelletons just for the sake of it.

If you plan to "drive" your design (model) top-down, then it makes sense to use skelletons, and they do provide some functionality for that purpose.

However, you should also be aware of the consequences.

Top-down design generates a lot of relationships between parts and assemblies, and these relationships can lead to a mess if the rules are not strictly enforced by everyone in your team.

It can also prevent you from efficently re-using parts and assemblies in other designs.

Hugo

bp
6-Contributor
6-Contributor
(To:huggre)

Hugo,

Thanks for your reply,

Actually for me the purpose of using skeletons is quite clear: Im constantly tweaking and building up my design, and the fact that all parts upgrade and still fit automatically is just great and saves me a lot of work.

So Im happy with the concept but confused about the options in Creo..

Im confused why "merge" doesnt work with sheetmetal and should I use "copy geometry" instead? Should I only use publish geometry or is it okay to use merge and copy geometry both?

huggre
1-Newbie
(To:bp)

OK, your good to go then 🙂

Just some comments to your original questions:

Im not familiar with this "merge" option and how it may or may not be effected in sheetmetal so i cant help you there.

We normally use publish/copy geom.

The ext_ref_scope is a setting that defines what items can be used as references when you are working in Creo.

Lets Say: If your intent is to "drive" your entire design from the skelletion then it makes sence that only the skelleton can be seleced as references when you are creating a part or assy.

YES

If the design is not documented properly and/or the users are not familiar or trained in the top-down design method then will get into trouble.

And you know who they will blame 😉

Hugo

Top Tags