cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Any OOTB environment variable or way on Creo side for pulling the latest config.pro files from network share instead of using batch file to copy it?

Devidas
9-Granite

Any OOTB environment variable or way on Creo side for pulling the latest config.pro files from network share instead of using batch file to copy it?

I am looking for some way to map the network share in Creo so will try to read related config.pro and startup files from network share and no need to copy on local system.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Devidas)

Creo always reads the config.pro from the <loadpoint>/text folder, no need to copy it to local disk.

For other special config.pro settings, put them in the start-in folder.

If you need multiple project specific config.pro files, use multiple icons for each one with different start-in folders.

Set the variables in the config.pro to point to shared/network disk locations.

I run a setup.bat file from the parametric.bat that sets our environment variables for using Creo across the network.

The Creo image is only installed once on the network drive.

We have installed Creo on each individual user system, so I am looking for the way to read the  config.pro from network share and not the text folder.

We dont have any plan to copy this configuration files every time on user system before start of Creo using batch file which delays the start up of Creo.

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Creo reads config files in this order:

1. config.sup in the <loadpoint>/text
  2. config.pro in the <loadpoint>/text
  3. config.pro in the user's "home" directory as defined by Windows
  4. config.pro in the directory defined by the "Start In" field in the windows shortcut used to launch Creo (also referred to as the startup directory).

If you don't want to copy config files (which isn't that hard), then set the start in field to your network location where your config files are located.  If you want to use a config.sup file, however, it must be in the <loadpoint>/text folder, Creo won't read it from anywhere else.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
mhoebener
5-Regular Member

Even if all the machines have Creo installed individually.

You could have a "short cut" on the network, that is copied to the desktops. with a copy "\\  command included for the config.pro  If your only overwriting the config file that really would not add any noticeable time executing Creo.

I run a .bat file that roughly does:

-sets local load and start points

-sets system drive

-sets/creates local working directory

-sets print/plot directories

-sets local cache, trail, and program file locations, and modelcheck file locations

then it verifies any file I desire located on the local machine is the latest from the network.  if not, it gets over written.

This way admin has some control.  Too often users will save modified config.pro's to the start directory and not their local work directory and this destroys consistency.

If this gets too far out of hand, I add to the .sup file - then no one can change that given variable.

all this takes about, uhmm 2 seconds on a slow day.  a little longer if the directories need to be created for new users.

Just my 2.5 pennies

edit:

something you may want to review:

Thank you for sharing that launch doc Ron St.Pierre! I was looking for an easy way to set environment variables for alternate cache location in Creo, and stumbled onto this thread with your launch script doc. Your solution for creating local cache directories through the Creo launch file was perfect. A lot of other great scripts here too, with really terrific explanations on how they work.

I'll be using this doc a lot. Can't thank you enough for posting it.

- Brian

gkoch
1-Newbie

It seems there have been a couple of helpful answer.

Anything you have verified to be useful for your intent?

If yes, please consider getting back to the thread and mark the answer as Correct Answer, to signal to community that there is an answer.

Thanks,

Gunter

Top Tags