cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Anyone upgrade to Quadro M4000? like/dislike?

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

Anyone upgrade to Quadro M4000? like/dislike?

Has anyone upgraded to a Quadro M4000 (from any other video card and using the same machine)?

Like it?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
17 REPLIES 17
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:Inoram)

Did you find a good deal on the upgrade?

I am running the Quadro 3000M in a Dell Precision laptop.

The only hesitation I have is that NVidia drivers don't work properly.

Only Dell released video drivers work properly in Creo.

NVidia drivers leave "tracks" or "stutters".

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Not really good deal. Just looking to upgrade. The M4000 is not mobile, it's the latest version of the Quadro (desktop) series. I seem to need more GPU memory, the M4000 is an 8 gig card. Although that should be plenty I was also looking at the 12 gig Titan X card.

Matt,

please can you explain, why do you need 8 GB or 12 GB GPU memory ?

MH

Martin Hanák
Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:MartinHanak)

I have 3 now, whenever the system slows down is when the memory hits cap.

Matt,

according to my experience, size of graphics memory is not so important. System is slow, when i run out of RAM -OR- when I work with large assembly and processor usage is on 100% (on single thread). Therefore I do not understand why do you need 8 GB or 12 GB GPU memory.

MH

Martin Hanák
Inoram
13-Aquamarine

Ok? Different experiences then?

What are you using to monitor your GPU RAM usage?

I'd also be interested to know what GPU usage you're seeing in different operations and situations in Creo.  I've got a K4200 and it hardly ever seems to break a sweat.

Process Explorer. I just took the screenshot, not really showing anything with it, but what I am looking at.And even at that 1.7 gig used on a few models loaded seems like a lot.

procmon.JPG

Hi,

I tried to find some information concerning GPU tab info in Process Explorer. Unfortunatelly I did not get any understandable explanation. Therefore I think that information reported via this tool is useless.

MH

Martin Hanák
Inoram
13-Aquamarine

They are just usage meters basically, what more information are they supposed to give to make them not useless?

Hmm... I've just pulled in a complete gearbox assembly, and I've got xtop using about 1.8 GB and the video card reporting about 950 MB via GPU-Z.  So 1.7 GB seems believable... it would be interesting to know what drives the usage higher, though - is it more faces/edges/vertices, or more colours, or shadows/reflections/anti-aliasing, or decals/textures, or mostly screen resolution?

I agree.I assume turning up some of the quality settings will make it jump up a bit.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

Or maybe GTX1080...

M6600 with the 1080 upgrade.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

Now testing...

1080.JPG

mbrehmer
6-Contributor

We just upgraded to the M4000 and it's great for speed. However coming from an AMD FirePro V7900, this card seems to have an issue with Anti-Aliasing screwing with drawing line quality.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:mbrehmer)

Cool, yeah the M4000 just dropped like a rock in price because the Pascal version just came out and the performance of the Pascal is so much greater. I am still trying to 1080 at the moment. The Win10 driver seems to need a little work over the Win7 driver, though. Hopefully Nvidia gets on that soon. But (for me) the increased memory made a big difference.

Top Tags