cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Batch File and Config.win

ptc-1077260
1-Newbie

Batch File and Config.win

Howdy Gurus,

We start Pro/E using batch files and desktop short cuts. The batch files copy the config.pro, config.sup and config.win files over to the users desktop machines into there ****\text directory. (example: E:\ptc\proewildfire4\text). The config.pro and config.sup files update and copy over just fine, but the config.win files do not. This file has been confusing, so we have been working around this by just physically copy/pasting into the preset working directories. Below is the text from the batch file, does anyone see where we are going wrong? Mostly what we update on the config.win file are new mapkeys.

echo Copying Config.sup
copy I:\Engineering\Drawings\ProE_Defaults\configs\Design_Engineer_Configs\config.sup E:\ptc\proeWildfire4\text\config.sup
echo Copying Config.pro
copy I:\Engineering\Drawings\ProE_Defaults\configs\Design_Engineer_Configs\config.pro E:\ptc\proeWildfire4\text\config.pro
echo Copying Config.win
copy I:\Engineering\Drawings\ProE_Defaults\configs\Design_Engineer_Configs\config.win E:\ptc\proeWildfire4\text\config.win
echo Copying com_splash.gif
Copy I:\Engineering\Drawings\ProE_Defaults\configs\splash_screens\com_splash.gif E:\ptc\proeWildfire4\text\resource\com_splash.gif

call E:\PTC\proeWildfire4\bin\proe.exe

Thanks,

James

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Weeell...

In principle, copying the config.win file is OK.

The possible problem is, that the file in question has to be created starting from nothing:

1. remove all config.win.xx files from <proe>/text and the working directory.
  2. start ProE and make Your changes, save the config.win, to the working directory by default.
  3. move the newest version from the working directory to Your template folder.
  4. again, remove all config.win.xx files (as in 1.)

Then You can copy it to <proe>/text at startup. Make sure, it's the only one there. Remember, config.win also has a version index, if multiple copies exist.

When changing the config.win template, proceed as above, but after 1. (and before 2.) copy the template to the working directory. Then start ProE.

Users still can change the config.win, which will then be stored in the working directory. This may not always work well when the template was changed, be aware of that.

BTW: We use that process for years now without major problems.

Because the config.win is indexed like regular Pro/E files
(config.win.1, config.win.2, etc.), automatically copying them can be
tricky since the file name changes each time you save.

Changing 'config.win' in your batch file to 'config.win.*' will help,
but if your company config.win is number 5 and the user changes and
saves a new config.win in the text folder with number 6 or higher, then
even though your files copy, they won't get used because they are of a
lower index number.

When we implemented a company config.win, I did some experimentation and
determined that 'config.win.32767' is the highest index number that
Pro/E will create. My memory is a little fuzzy on how this happens, but
Pro/E will also create 'config.win.-32768', perhaps at the same time. I
do know that the 'config.win.32767' file is the one that is read and
used. You need to have both in your directory, however, so we keep both
files, identical copies of each other, in our server config location and
copy them over to the text folder at launch.

Now I know that the config.win that will load from the text folder is
our company file and not a user's file (those load later).

Doug Schaefer
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Top Tags