cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Cannot activate floating license on PC, but can on other computers

PC_10383980
2-Guest

Cannot activate floating license on PC, but can on other computers

Hello everybody,

I have the task to figure out the floating licenses in my company. They already had a running license server with a single floating license key running. And Im trying to get that license on my computer. 

I can ping the server and the server can ping my laptop, both computers are set to private network, and the server had created windows firewall exceptions for ptc_d and port 7788 by the official distributor call center.

I then tried my co-workers laptop and he was able to activate the floating license on his PC. I then turned off all firewalls and windows defender virus detection on my laptop and it still says unreachable. 

Ironically when i tried, my co-workers laptop is unable to ping or get pinged by the server which is weird. 

Is there anything i am missing? As even official support could not figure this out and help me. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@PC_10383980 wrote:

Hi,

Yes they already did this and i just double checked it, thats why its possible to connect on a co-workers laptop, but not on mine. 

I was also thinking you have to somehow identify on the server which PCs can connect to it? 

Hi,

please check two following sources.

license.dat on license server

Does this file contain line similar to ?

SERVER computername PTC_HOSTID=14-1E-1C-1D-14-1E 7788

-OR-

SERVER 169.254.185.96 PTC_HOSTID=14-1E-1C-1D-14-1E 7788

parametric.psf on Creo client

ENV=PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE-=7788@computername

-OR-

ENV=PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE-=7788@169.254.185.96

Please publish the output of ptcstatus.bat from server and client, too.

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi,

if firewall is running on license server then you have to define 2 Inbound Rules on license server.

I prefer not using port numbers in rules.

Rule 1 ... enable communication for lmadmin.exe (current FLEXnet version) or lmgrd.exe ("old" FLEXnet version)

Rule 2 ... enable communication for ptc_d.exe

It is possible to use port numbers in rules. In this case you have to modify FLEXnet configuration and assign fixed port number to ptc_d.exe process.

Martin Hanák

Hi,

Yes they already did this and i just double checked it, thats why its possible to connect on a co-workers laptop, but not on mine. 

I was also thinking you have to somehow identify on the server which PCs can connect to it? 

@PC_10383980 wrote:

Hi,

Hi,

please check two following sources.

license.dat on license server

SERVER computername PTC_HOSTID=14-1E-1C-1D-14-1E 7788

-OR-

SERVER 169.254.185.96 PTC_HOSTID=14-1E-1C-1D-14-1E 7788

parametric.psf on Creo client

ENV=PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE-=7788@computername

-OR-

ENV=PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE-=7788@169.254.185.96

Please publish the output of ptcstatus.bat from server and client, too.

Martin Hanák

Hi,

please explain how did you resolve the problem.

Martin Hanák

Hi, yes of course. 

On my client I found the parametric.psf file and added  ''ENV=PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE-=7788@computername'' in a new line. 

Then opened Creo and the license was working.

Top Tags