cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Config.pro etc. file locations

JosephLord
1-Newbie

Config.pro etc. file locations

Hi,

I recently got a new PC and reinstalled ProE. I saved my config.pro, config.win and syscol ect, ect, to disc so they were not lost, then put them in a folder on my new PC.

How can I tell ProE where to look for these files so they load up automatically on start up? I would prefer to have all these in an easy to find folder, rather than putting each one in a specific directory.

Thanks!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

You can put them in your start in directory. You can tell Pro/E where to find files like tree.cfg and syscol and appearance.dmt. But you cannot tell it where to look for the config.pro and config.win files since it looks in config.pro to get the other locations. One of the default locations to put the config files is your start in directory, so Pro/E will read them each time it loads. You can also put config files in the directory that you make your working directory. But I am not really sure on that.

Finally, if you want them in the best place put them in ProELoadPoint\text. This is usually the directory that a corporation will put them. Then the individual users can put their personal file in the start in directory. Pro/E defaults to load the text directory copy first then the startin directory copy gets loaded over top of the other.

Hope that make sense.

There are three places that Pro/Engineer looks for config.pro files.

1. "text" folder of Pro/Engineer install

2. Home directory
Unix: $HOME
Windows: %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%

3. Startup folder

Just for fun, here's some config.pro enhancement requests I've been
waiting ten years for (but not holding my breath):

1) "Include" option to read in other config.pro files

INCLUDE f:\corp\stds\config-std.pro

Note that included config.pro files may include other config.pro files

2) "Search path" option to read in config.pro files from other folders

CONFIG_SEARCH_PATH install home working f:\corp\stds\

3) Condition clauses to control which options are set

IF $GROUP_NAME = "CHECKING"
PLOTTER checking_plotter_in_room_47
ELSE
PLOTTER drafting_plotter_in_franks_cube
ENDIF

Note that environment variable are already usable in config.pro files

If you combine these, you could get something like this:

INCLUDE f:\corp\stds\config-mapkeys.pro

IF $GROUP_NAME = "CHECKING"
INCLUDE f:\corp\stds\config-checking.pro
ELSE
INCLUDE f:\corp\stds\config-default.pro
ENDIF

An "include" option alone would allow a company to have a one line config.pro

file in the install\text folder that would never have to change, because it refers

to files elsewhere. No more copying files around when Pro/E starts.

Hello Marc,

I know this post is pretty old now but can you tell me how I can identify my homepath (i.e. Windows: %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%) as well as my startup folder within my installation of Pro/E WF4.0? Also after a fresh installation would the "Home Folder" and the "Startup Folder" be the same location?

The reason I ask is the changes I am making to my config.pro don't seem to be taking effect and I am trying to troubleshoot.

Thanks,

Mike

HOMEDRIVE adn HOMEPATH are windows cariables. Type "set" at a command prompt adn you'll see all the defeinted Windows variables.'

The startup directory is defined by the shortcut used to launch Proe. Check the shortcut's properties to see what the "Start In" field is set to.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Top Tags