cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Creo - File format question

davehaigh
11-Garnet

Creo - File format question

The Creo web site says the following:
For Creo, we're defining a scalable, unified, common data model. Think of it as a good reference book. In each chapter, we're publishing a different kind of information. In one chapter, we'll publish 2D geometry information; in another we'll include 3D geometry information; in another chapter we'll add 3D graphical information. In other chapters, we might put PDM information, or 3D drawing information, or color and attribute information. Lots of useful information, but still one book. Each of the applications will read the common data model and use the chapter you need and then write your data back to just that chapter.

Obviously this means that the ProE file structure is going to change yet again.
(ProE appears to be just getting a name change, with extensive UI modification & enhancements.)

1. My question is will the drawing file still be a separate file from the part or assembly? The blurb above makes you think that it's not, but my guess is it will still be a separate file.

2. Next question is what versions of PDMlink & ProductView will support the new file type?

3. Are we going to get a new set of ProductView Adapters to convert into this new file type, or will ProductView still use it's own file type for viewables. Seems to me that a file with all the information they are talking about would be much heavier than the current ProductView files.

4. That also brings up the question of ProductView Markups, does that data now go into the new file type also.

5. The ability to bring in all this 3rd party cad data, is that really anything new? Or are they just using the adapters they already have in ProductView to convert the data into a single filetype. Perhaps the new thing is being able to modify the 3rd party data. (although you can do that somewhat already with the FRT in WF4 & WF5, but you can't modify the base feature)

PTC, are you listening? You want to add some details to this discussion?

David Haigh
Phone: 925-424-3931
Fax: 925-423-7496
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
7000 East Ave, L-362
Livermore, CA 94550

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

On #1, I'm guessing the drawing will be a separate object than the part
and so get it's own file. It's a little fuzzy, though, based on how it
was presented. You would want to be able to create multiple drawings of
one part or assembly object, so it makes sense that it would be it's own
thing.

The 2D that they refer to is more like ACAD data, 2D design layout data
rather than a traditional drawing.

Doug Schaefer
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Interseting questions.

About the Productview Adapters. I think we should not be needing Productview adapters anymore.
The Productview data must be allready there in every object created with Creo.
Let each Creo Element software always create the Productview format as well and add it as a chapter to the file.

Looks to me that the idea of the different chapters is that each app, just only retrieves the information of the chapters it needs.
Windchill should know about these chapters.

To: "-" <->
Date: 28-10-2010 22:44
Subject: [proecad] - Creo - File format question

The Creo web site says the following:
For Creo, we’re defining a scalable, unified, common data model. Think of it as a good reference book. In each chapter, we’re publishing a different kind of information. In one chapter, we’ll publish 2D geometry information; in another we’ll include 3D geometry information; in another chapter we’ll add 3D graphical information. In other chapters, we might put PDM information, or 3D drawing information, or color and attribute information. Lots of useful information, but still one book. Each of the applications will read the common data model and use the chapter you need and then write your data back to just that chapter.

Obviously this means that the ProE file structure is going to change yet again.
(ProE appears to be just getting a name change, with extensive UI modification & enhancements.)

1. My question is will the drawing file still be a separate file from the part or assembly? The blurb above makes you think that it’s not, but my guess is it will still be a separate file.

2. Next question is what versions of PDMlink & ProductView will support the new file type?

3. Are we going to get a new set of ProductView Adapters to convert into this new file type, or will ProductView still use it’s own file type for viewables. Seems to me that a file with all the information they are talking about would be much heavier than the current ProductView files.

4. That also brings up the question of ProductView Markups, does that data now go into the new file type also.

5. The ability to bring in all this 3rd party cad data, is that really anything new? Or are they just using the adapters they already have in ProductView to convert the data into a single filetype. Perhaps the new thing is being able to modify the 3rd party data. (although you can do that somewhat already with the FRT in WF4 & WF5, but you can’t modify the base feature)

PTC, are you listening? You want to add some details to this discussion?

David Haigh
Phone: 925-424-3931
Fax: 925-423-7496
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
7000 East Ave, L-362
Livermore, CA 94550

Site Links: View post online View mailing list online Send new post via email Unsubscribe from this mailing list Manage your subscription

Use of this email content is governed by the terms of service at:

On #2, they said in the webcast that it would be a later release of Windchill 10.

Brian Toussaint
CAD Administrator

Hoshizaki America, Inc.
"A Superior Degree Of Reliability"
618 Hwy. 74 S., Peachtree City, GA 30269

Anyone seen pricing and Maintenance costs of this - Hope its not per
letter

Best Regards

Chris Collinson
CAD Administrator
email: -
tel: +44 1305 208372