cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Distributed Batch

ptc-321022
1-Newbie

Distributed Batch

I would like to use remote workstation(s) to run Mechanica simulations. I followed the instructions for getting Distribute batch going, but the remote workstation never shows up as an available server. I am using Creo 1.0 soon to upgrade to 2.0

Anyone successfully used Distributed batch in Mechanica?

Thanks.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Don,

Yes, I launced dcadsetup on the remote computer and the remote computer did not show in the "Creo Distributed Batch" utility.

Since my last message, I opened the "Creo Distributed Services Manager" software on the remote computer. Now the remote computer does show in the Creo Distributed Batch untility.

Based on the instructions for Distributed Batch, launching dcadsetup is all I should have to do to make the remote computer available.

I have the remote computer available now and hopefully I can figure out what the Creo Distributed Services Manager software is doing.

Thanks,

Marvin

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marvin,

Have you started the service on each of the work stations you installed Distributed Batch client on?

From PTC install document:
http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/128515/en/Creo_1_M040_install.pdf?bcsi_scan_07dcb2655646b264=H0iejHXuAGZ51bs7zt7Po3NnCDszAAAAunG8Mg==&bcsi_scan_filename=Creo_1_M040_install.pdf

Configuring Workstations for Distributed Computing

System administrators can configure the workstations after installing Creo Parametric as follows:

1. From the available workstations, choose the ones to participate in distributed computing sessions.

2. Run the dcadsetup script on each participating workstation. This script starts a required daemon process for distributed computing. No other setup task is required.

3. To shut down the daemon process and thus disable a workstation from participating in distributed computing sessions, run the dcadshutdown script.

4. Optionally, register the dcadsetup command within the boot script of a workstation. This command enables the workstation for distributed computing after it is shut down and restarted.

Hope this helps,

Don Anderson

I discovered I need to specify the server name and location. Now the server is listed in the Distributed Computed Hosts Selection from Creo Parametric. (File/Options/Environment/Distributed Computing...) Not sure when this will get used, but nice to have it listed finally.

Now, to run a Mechanica Distributed batch file (*.mds) I understand I need to use the Distributed Batch utility. I have launched this utility but the remote workstation will not show in the DSM list. I have tried using the server name and location and its IP address but it will not show. I get an error "Client could not connect to a DSM at ..."

Thanks,

Marvin

Marvin,

Have you run dcadsetup on each client computer as stated above?
The process has to be running on each workstation in order to take advantage of each workstations resources.

Don

Don,

Yes, I launced dcadsetup on the remote computer and the remote computer did not show in the "Creo Distributed Batch" utility.

Since my last message, I opened the "Creo Distributed Services Manager" software on the remote computer. Now the remote computer does show in the Creo Distributed Batch untility.

Based on the instructions for Distributed Batch, launching dcadsetup is all I should have to do to make the remote computer available.

I have the remote computer available now and hopefully I can figure out what the Creo Distributed Services Manager software is doing.

Thanks,

Marvin

Top Tags