cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

I am looking to replace our Workstation, any recommendations on a configuration / manufacturer? We have assemblies of 3000+ components. We currently have T5600, 24 gig ram, Quadro 4000. They just do not cut it on our regenerations. Some of it is "bad" mod

mpollagi
2-Guest

I am looking to replace our Workstation, any recommendations on a configuration / manufacturer? We have assemblies of 3000+ components. We currently have T5600, 24 gig ram, Quadro 4000. They just do not cut it on our regenerations. Some of it is "bad" mod

I am looking to replace our Workstation, any recommendations
on a configuration / manufacturer? We have assemblies of 3000+ components. We
currently have T5600, 24 gig ram, Quadro 4000. They just do not cut it on our
regenerations. Some of it is "bad" models I am sure.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

Your current config looks pretty solid... I'd have to say that if you had dual processors and SSD's you'd see a real performance increase. Graphics cards are not going to help regen times.

Pete, "I'd have to say that if you had dual processors and SSD's you'd see a real performance increase." I did not think Creo utilized more than 1 processor, also when doing a regeneration what envolvment does the hard drive have? Thanks

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:mpollagi)

Mark Pollagi‌,

You are correct.  The vast majority of the time Creo will only use a singe core of one processor.  This is why clock speed matters so much.  I highly recommend using an overclocked machine if at all possible.  We use machines from Gruman Creations and have been very happy with them.

Tom, Will these be PTC certified, or don't you worry about that? What is your typical configuration? Thanks

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:mpollagi)

No, not certified.  For us that doesn't matter.  To be certified you have to be willing to give PTC a free computer and I think even pay them to certify it.  For a small company like Gruman, that just isn't possible.  PTC technical support will provide support for non-certified hardware.  From CS221822:

PTC Technical Support will provide assistance to customers using hardware that is neither certified nor supported

Here is PTC's Platform Support page:  http://support.ptc.com/partners/hardware/current/status.htm

Dell Precision Workstations come in three box sizes. 3000, 5000, & the 7000 series (3000 used to be 1700)

The fastest processors you can get are in the 3000 series. As you step up in box size what you get is more parallel cores, but slower speeds. Not a good trade off for Creo.

Dell discontinued the 1700 line a few months back so now all you can buy in the small box is the 3620.

We bought some, I was skeptical because the single threaded performance numbers for the CPU indicated to me they would not be as fast as our previous T1700's but they are faster. OCUS Benchmark results below: (These are the two fastest major name brand machines on the site)

Precision Tower 3620 = I haven't uploaded these results but this would be #14 on the benchmark site.

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v5 @ 3.60GHz = Single threaded score 2215

Total Physical Memory:     65,462 MB

NVIDIA Quadro K2200  

OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

OS Version:                6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

64_Bit

Creo 2.0-M190

Total    = 986 seconds

CPU Related tasks (CP)  = 704 seconds

Graphics Relatsed tasks (GR) = 269 seconds

DISK related tasks (DI)  = 157 seconds

Our previous T1700 had this result. Both machines have SSD hard drives:

Precision T1700  = This is # 20 on the benchmark site.

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1271 v3 @ 3.60GHz = Single threaded score 2315

Total Physical Memory:     32,707 MB

NVIDIA Quadro K4000                   

OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise

OS Version:                6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

64_Bit

Creo 2.0-M120

Total    = 1177 seconds = 19 minutes 37 seconds

CPU Related tasks (CP)  = 807 seconds

Graphics Relatsed tasks (GR) = 356 seconds

DISK related tasks (DI)  = 177 seconds

Top Tags