cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

License Server Daemon Not Running

jsawyer-2
7-Bedrock

License Server Daemon Not Running

It seems that the most recent Windows Defender update has targeted the PTC License Daemon again. For the last year or so I had been able to get around this by using the Wildfire 5 license server install and updating the executable. This time around it is even hitting these. I know that PTC is taking no responsibility for fixing their server and will tell me that this is a Microsoft issue. This is not a Microsoft issue. It is an issue with the way PTC installs the service.

Does anyone have a good solution to this issue?

7 REPLIES 7

@jsawyer-2 wrote:

It seems that the most recent Windows Defender update has targeted the PTC License Daemon again. For the last year or so I had been able to get around this by using the Wildfire 5 license server install and updating the executable. This time around it is even hitting these. I know that PTC is taking no responsibility for fixing their server and will tell me that this is a Microsoft issue. This is not a Microsoft issue. It is an issue with the way PTC installs the service.

Does anyone have a good solution to this issue?

Hi,

in Windows 10 64-bit I use following "installation" procedure:

1.]

I install old FLEXnet 10.8.10 using following installation package ptc_lic_server_flex-10-8-10_WIN64.zip.

In the past it was possible to download it via https://www.ptc.com/support/-/media/D2D9E89138CF46B1ABCF53A74ECCA8B1.pdf?sc_lang=en page. Today you can download it using http://download.ptc.com/download2/products/FLEXnet/ptc_lic_server_flex-10-8-10_WIN64.zip link.

2.]

I stop FLEXlm server for PTC service.

3.]

I replace 4 files in FLEXnet 10.8.10 installation with files included in flex11.14.1.2_x86e_win64.zip package. It is possible to download it via https://www.ptc.com/support/-/media/D2D9E89138CF46B1ABCF53A74ECCA8B1.pdf?sc_lang=en page.

Now I have FLEXnet 11.14.1.2 installation.

4.]

I start FLEXlm server for PTC service. That is all.

Note: FLEXnet 11.14.1.2 enables me to run Creo 7.0, it is not necessary to "update" FLEXnet installation using 4 files included in flex11.16.2.1_x86e_win64.zip.

Martin Hanák

Note 2:

FlexNet Publisher 11.16.2.1 lmadmin_ptc service does not start if MS Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable Package is not installed.

Martin Hanák

It seems that the newest update is pushing updates for the Visual C++ 2013 package. They prevent the service from running. I am digging in to them to see what can be done. I really with that PTC would pull their heads out and fix this but they seem to think it is easier to blame Microsoft and screw their customers than it is to fix their code.

@jsawyer-2 wrote:

It seems that the newest update is pushing updates for the Visual C++ 2013 package. They prevent the service from running. I am digging in to them to see what can be done. I really with that PTC would pull their heads out and fix this but they seem to think it is easier to blame Microsoft and screw their customers than it is to fix their code.

Hi,

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your answer in every detail.

I installed FLEXnet 11.16.2.1 only once - see below.

Imagine situation when MS Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable Package is not installed (I met this situation in Windows 7).

1.] FlexNet Publisher 11.16.2.1 installation (from Creo 4.0 M110 installation media) finishes with "Unreachable" status

2.] manual start of lmadmin_ptc service returns "Error 1053"

3.] manual start of lmadmin.exe from Command prompt returns " msvcp120.dll missing" message

4.] after manual installation of MS Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable Package (Update 5), lmadmin_ptc service starts successfully

Martin Hanák

Hi Martin,

Would you be able to clarify which 4 files you take from the zip file to do the update?

Are they the 4 dll's in the root of the zip or something else?

These files simply replace the existing versions?

@TrainStopper wrote:

Hi Martin,

Would you be able to clarify which 4 files you take from the zip file to do the update?

Are they the 4 dll's in the root of the zip or something else?

These files simply replace the existing versions?

Hi,

if you download and unzip flex11.14.1.2_x86e_win64.zip file, you will get following files:

lmgrd.exe
lmtools.exe
lmutil.exe
ptc_d.exe

You have to copy them into FLEXNET_loadpoint\x86e_win64\obj directory to replace existing versions.

Martin Hanák

Thank You Martin!

Top Tags